Sunday 20 November 2011

Sunday 20/11/2011 - Avon Angling Teams of Four - Final Round Six - Viaduct Fishery - Carey, Lodge and Match Lakes

The majority of anglers from Bristol who needed a breakfast were heading for the Bear Hotel in Street. However, Bela and I decided on the Fountain café in St George. Arriving at the Café it was soon apparent that it wasn’t going to open anytime soon. So about turn and we headed for the Canard Well Hotel in Shepton Mallet. Both Bela and I thought it was a great breakfast, so have decided to make this our fist option when travelling to Viaduct.

With Charlie out with a bronchitis sick note, the Gimp was in and Steve Segar deputised as Captain. The draw made and Rich Coles was first to inform me that I was on the peg he won the Silvers from on the Wednesday – peg 47 on Match Lake - wonderful. After a run down from Rich, it was to be waggler and double caster over loose fed caster all match then. However, because I had plenty of time to set up I also put up a margin rig (a rare 4x10 Drennan wire stem chop) for the RH side.

On the whistle I fed the margin with a pot of dead reds, I then proceeded to fish the waggler. Having started with ridiculous light hook length which I struck off the first fish, what ever it was. So on went a 14 808 hook to a 0.12 G line hook length. I then started to pick off a few Skimmers to 3lb, but the skimming wind was making it difficult plus the water had gone clear added to the bright daylight, it was a case of catch a few then the disappearing act. I kept a few coming, but it really slowed come the last two hours when I decided to go tighter to the island and shallow up for Carp. This worked well, catching four small Carp and a number of F1’s until the last ten minutes when my waggler ended up in the River Carey behind me! So the margin wasn’t a complete waste of time but nearly – I didn’t have a bite on five maggots hook bait!! I weighed 20lb 6oz of big Skimmers and 22lb 5oz of Carp (F1’s count as Carp at Viaduct) for a total of 42lb 11oz for a Lake second (by 6oz) and a £60 section win. I was surprised to find this also put me 8th overall. I fed about one pint of caters throughout the match. Another memorable day's fishing.

As the Gimp did an end of match disappearing act I wasn’t sure how the team faired. I think we beat Avon England again though – see Tony Rixon’s blog for the team results.

The match was won by Alan Oram with 183lb 9oz from peg 96. Alan caught on his favourite straight lead approach using 8mm meat hair rig by pulling a band through the meat. Alan landed 15 Carp fishing 25/30 metres out in to the “bowl”. Alan fed – NOTHING throughout the match!

The Silvers was won by England Star Des Shipp (pictured right with the match winner) with 48lb 3oz of Skimmers from Lodge peg 68. Des fished the pole on two lines at 14.5metres – one line over GB and the other over potted casters (feeding about 100 casters a time). Des caught primarily big skimmers on single caster. The swim did die in the last hour but his weight was soon boosted with a couple of big Carp.

Matey Bela was on the next peg to Des and was expecting to give him a lesson in waggler fishing – NOT.

Full Result:

1.      Alan Oram 183-09-0 peg 96
2.      Tom Mangnel 114-15-0 peg 87
3.      Kev Perry 106-05-0 peg 100
4.      Des Shipp 85-05-0 peg 68
5.      Clayton Hudson 64-0-0 peg 101
6.      Kev Moulton 47-0-0 peg 70
7.      Neil Mercer 43-01-0 peg 42
8.      Mike Nicholls 42-11-0 peg 47

Top Silvers:

1.      Des Shipp 48-03-0 peg 68
2.      Steve Kedge 31-06-0 peg 97
3.      Nick Collins 26-04-0 peg 40

No comments: