Thursday 20 October 2011

Wednesday 19/10/2011 - Stafford Moor October Festival - Day Three - Joseph Dam Wall

Back to the New Inn for Tapas, which I must say was very good and a change from the usual pub grub.

Glenn went AWOL this morning. I was very sorry to see him leave. Why? Glenn will explain. Glenn would have been on 13 Pines, a corner flyer with loads of Skimmers!! Poor Mark drew the worse peg on Pines peg 6 – The “Bus Stop” Swim weighing only 2lb (hope I don't draw this one).

As I said yesterday I was hoping to be on the Dam Wall and by the time I got to draw there was only one peg left for Emily’s so out comes Dam Wall peg 5. Bela drew it first match and blanked and the Angler who fished it yesterday weighed 3lb, so not a flyer then!! For company, on next peg 4 was Landsend Mike Duckett.

My target was more than 3lb. So set up the usual two Ronnie rigs – both to hand rigs for the caster. These pegs are known for fishing paste at 14.5 metres and the quarry is larger than normal Carp in excess of 20lb. So I set up a 1g paste float and was amazed to find that at 13 metres (the most I was prepared to use) I had 14 foot of water – Umm. I also set up a margin paste rig. On the “All in” I fed the 13 metres paste line with about ten 8 mm pellet which I had soaked to make them soft and fluffy, which I planned to top up after every fish – I hoped. I do like to feed micro pellet when using paste so because of the depth I made up some wetted micro into small balls to help the on their way to the bottom. I then started on the Ronnie rig close in and had five small Silvers. It was soon apparent was going to be difficult day. I then noticed that the Angler on the opposite bank had hooked a Carp on the paste. So out mine went and first cast I hooked a Carp. Playing these fish in 14 foot of water is very difficult and can’t be rushed. I used the Sensas top set with the side pull-a-bung so I could land the fish on the top five. This was new to me and played the Carp which was about 8lb for 10 minutes, after which I had it beat, but bugger the hooked pulled just as I picked up the landing net. To say I was pissed is an understatement as I thought I had lost my only opportunity to catch a Carp. However, Dad was watching down and next cast I hooked and landed a 10 pounder which got the adrenalin pumping. Out again and another Carp but this time hooked in the tail. For some reason it was less of a fight than the previous fished hooked in the mouth? This was compensation for the one I lost- thanks Dad. I then had a run of two foul hooked fish – one straightened the hook and the other pulled free. I was quite happy at this stage as I had far more in the net than I had anticipated. About an hour later I hooked a Big Boy (18lb 8oz) which took me an age to land. However, there was a down side I broke the landing net frame lifting it out. I then spent the rest of the match bite less as did most of the other Anglers. My few Silvers weighed 6oz and when added to my Carp I had 42lb 14oz. The section was won with 45lb so the one I lost cost me another section win. However, I was delighted to come second and pick up another envelope reducing my Polo shirt down to £10, still too expensive!

On Tanners Lake tomorrow which seems to be very peggy with peg 36 or peg 3 winning every match. I hope I get one of these, however, I don’t think it’s going to suit me as it's like Woodpecker.
 
The match was won by Ade Marshall (pictured right) with 121lb 13oz from peg 36 Woodpecker. Ade caught on the full depth waggler using the proverbial pellet over pellet.


Full Result:

1.      Ade Marshall 121-13-0 peg 36 Woodpecker
2.      Bob Clarke 104-06-0 peg 26 Woodpecker
3.      Ray Hayward 102-09-0 Peg 11Tanners
4.      Simon Heiffer 86-12-0 peg 20 Josephs
5.      Andy Poole 82-14-0 peg 35 Tanners
6.      Mike Etheridge 75-14-0 peg 3 Tanners

No comments: