Thursday 13 October 2011

Thursday 13/10/2011 - Bathampton AA Over 55's And Disabled - Bridge Pool

It was 14 degrees when I left home – Marvellous weather for the time of year and for a days fishing. Apparently all change next week just as I am off to Stafford Moor for the October Festival.

Standing in the Car Park waiting for the draw Colin Golding announced that he has bought a mobile phone (pictured right with his new technology) which only cost him £16. However, he was disappointed that he was yet to receive a phone call, even though he has given out his number. So Bob Price rang the number and everyone in the car park heard it – except Colin, even though he had it on full volume!! Apparently, Bob discovered that Colin also had five missed calls. I was going to give out his new number but thought it pointless!!

With a few of the disable anglers missing today’s match, there was a higher than normal probability that I would draw a disabled peg, and I did - peg 9.

I wasn’t disappointed with this peg as there are a few Skimmers on this peg. So I set up for a Silvers day – one Ronnie rig and a 4x16 Jolly for the Skimmers to be fished down the inside shelf at 5 metres. On the whistle I fed the 5 metre line with a mix of micro, caster and hard 4’s, starting on the Ronnie rig with caster over loose fed caster. This resulted in one small Perch, one small Hybrid and two 4 oz Ronnie’s. Not a good start as next thing a bloody great Pike sliced through the swim killing it dead. So out on the Skimmers and I had a lot of pecking from tiny Skimmers so dotted the float right down in to the surface film, which resulted in a few small Skimmer blades. Next cast and I hook and land a 7lb Carp. Looking around and everyone was struggling for both Silvers and carp. I was using Mike Jones (peg 15) and Rich Coles (peg 7) as my litmus on the Silvers – both were also struggling. So I made the decision to switch to paste in the margin fished over loose fed hard 4’s for the Carp. It took a while before I hooked my first a 18 pounder – happy days. The Lake wasn’t fishing that well and I caught very, very steady another eight Carp before the all out. My Silvers weighed in at 2lb 8oz and my Carp 98lb 1oz for just over the ton with 100lb 9oz for first overall.

The Silvers was won by Bill Ferris (pictured right with the overall winner – hiding his broken front tooth) with 17lb of Roach and small Skimmers. Bill caught on either maggot or caster hook bait fished short over regular small balls of GB. This weight was very impressive on the day as the next Silvers weights were tied on 8lb 8oz.

Full Result:

1. Mike Nicholls 100-09-0 peg 9
2. Dave Bacon 63-06-0 peg 25
3. John Smith 46-04-0 peg 33
4. Dave Gillard 38-09-0 peg 11
5. Rich Coles 37-14-0 peg 7
6. Alan Jones 32-14-0 peg 32

Top Silvers:

1. Bill Ferris 17-0-0 peg 30
2. Rich Coles 8-8-0 peg 7
2. Mike Jones 8-8-0 peg 15
3. Bob Feltham 8-07-0 peg 14

No comments: