Sunday 9 October 2011

Sunday 09/10/2011 - Carps AC Silvers League - Round Three - Viaduct Fishery - Carey and Spring Lakes

Bela and I breakfasted in the Hill Top Café which was very busy. I was surprised to see Lee Werret arrive at the café from Whiteacres s as he planned to be down there for two weeks, so a week early. Apparently the venue isn’t fishing that well, which can be read across most venues in the UK at present – we desperately need a deluge of rain to reinstall the Oxygen levels in our Fisheries – it could get serious for some fisheries if we don’t.

It was another case of pass the coffee draw tin. I nearly drew right handed, switching to my left out came peg 85 – another day in the section of death. Arriving at the peg I had for company Nick Collins (88), Bob Gullick (87) Mark Broomsgrove (86), me and Barry Fitchew (81). Not as simple because Steve Kedge arrived on peg 86, I did explain that Mark had drawn the peg, but Steve was insistent, explaining that he had drawn peg 15 on Spring Lake but had to redraw – this is when his head went. Steve then said “I might be on peg 81”, no Barry had arrived – peg 80 then no Gordon was there. So back to the shop and Steve was in fact on peg 98!! I have explained this to Matron, who said she will consider keeping Steve in next week!!

I had a feeder chuck so set that up first, but left the waggler tangled up as the wind was a bit too strong for any sensible presentation. I then set up a 4 x12 Jolly to be fished for Skimmers, plus anything else at 9 metres. Then the trusty Ronnie rig for the caster.

On the whistle I fed three balls of GB at 9 metres, but started on the caster at 4 metres, which resulted in a 6oz Rudd and a few Ronnie’s – the water has gone a bit clear, so the Ronnie’s weren’t really feeding. So it was out on the 9 metre line with 2mm expander pellet on the hook. I had an hour of catching small Skimmers from 2 to 3oz – enjoyable. The swim died so I re fed with GB which didn’t have the desired effect. So it was back on the Ronnie rig, but this time out to the right in the shallow water, where I had been dripping caster. I soon had a 1lb perch in the net followed by another two which I pulled out - bugger. I then had another 1lb Perch, followed by another pull out – bugger again. I was using a lighter elastic, so I blamed this – but who knows!! It was time to try the GB feeder, so out it went with triple “putrid” red maggot and a 2lb Skimmer first cast – this is how to do it, but not fast enough as it took an age to get the next one. My impatiens got the better of me once again, so I put a big pot of cater on the 9 metre line and had a 2lb Skimmer first cast on the drop. That was it except for a puzzling number of indications on double caster. I decided that the fish were up in the water. Back on the feeder for the last ¾ hour and I had a run of 2lb Skimmers with neat GB in the feeder, with a foul hooker on the whistle – justice served. My Silvers weight in not at 14lb as I told the rest of the section, but 24lb 3oz for a section second, with ace Nicky Collins taking it with a credible 34lb 7oz and luckily for me third overall leaving me with a section default payout!
It was nice to Lee Werret (pictured right) with a smile back on his face as he drew the same peg as last match peg 18 on Spring winning the match with 56lb 6oz of Skimmers. Lee caught initially short using soft pellet and later catching the Lions share on red maggot over GB and caster. Lee fed 2 kg of GB and 2 pints of caster throughout.

Full Result:

1. Lee Werret 56-06-0 peg 18
2. John Green 34-12-0 peg 17 (hard 4 mm pellet on waggler)
3. Nick Collins 34-07-0 peg 88
4. Stu Foale 33-02-0 peg 78
5. Glen Calvert 32-12-0 peg 16
6. Roland Lucas 32-10-0 peg 103

League Leaders (Points then weight order):

1 Stuart Foale 4
2 Lee Werrett 5
3 Glen Calvert 5
4 Tim Pallant 6
5 Andy Neal 6
6 Bob Gullick 6

No comments: