Thursday 22 September 2011

Thursday - 22/09/2011 - Viaduct Cost Cutter - Campbell and Carey

Back down to Viaduct for another Skivers match. It was a bit of a drag driving down as I got stuck behind a digger, and believe it or not I got stuck behind it on the way back. At least we were promised a dry warmish day, which is exactly what we got.

Second in the draw tin behind John Green who picked two pegs dropping one in to my hand – got to be a flyer you think – Not. Peg 80 on Carey. I knew this peg wouldn’t suit my style of fishing, but you have to take the rough with the smooth. Arriving at the peg it was like the Bay of Biscay – flat calm with the wind blowing in to the nineties. I set up a paste rig to be fished at 10 metres and found 30 inches of water. This is due to the wind blowing the silt in to the spit and sheltered from blowing back out again. I swung the rig around in to the margin and found 3 inches less there, so I didn’t bother setting any other pole rigs up as I decided to fish the light feeder for Skimmers from start to finish, even so it was really shallow at 25 metres. I mixed up some GB and laced it with caster and dead red maggot. I was advised by John Green that the GB will keep the Carp away. Nearly right as the first two casts ended up with me breaking on Carp! Luckily I wasn’t bother with this species again.

It took two hours to catch my first Skimmer and found the fishing hard catching two then having to wait an age for the next two. I just couldn’t hold them there for long enough.

Two hours in to the match I heard a loud crash followed by a sizeable splash then a loud gasp from Terry Bruton’s swim, peg 118. I had to wind in the feeder before jumping up to go and help. By the time I got there Martin Lenaghan was already in the water helping Terry up the bank. I dashed back to get the camera and managed to get the picture right. Terry broke his pole and landing net handle as well as hurting his knee. How did it happen – Terry had hooked a Carp that went under his platform, Terry decided to try and pass his top set under the leg of the platform and hey presto. Bet he won’t try that again. The upside was that I loaned him my very dirty fleece and Terry kindly offered to wash it for me. I wish I let him borrow all my Gortex kit!!

Back to the fishing and the upshot was that I caught Skimmers very steady until the last hour when I decided to start loose feeding caster over the feeder line, which resulted in a fishless hour!! I was surprised to find my Skimmers and one bloody nuisance Chub weighed in at 20lb 12oz for fourth in the Silvers. I quite enjoyed fishing the feeder today especially as I had a lot less fatigue driving home. I was also satisfied with my weight from the Bay of Biscay. It’s still a days fishing in my book.

The match was won just 20 feet behind my on peg 116 by Martin Lenaghan (pictured right with some of his catch) with 162lb 15oz. Martin caught at 16 metres using meat hook bait fished two foot deep.

The Silvers was won by John Bradford from peg 97 with 31lb 11oz. John caught short at 6 metres and in his RH margin. John caught on caster and chopped worm over caster with a smidgen of chopped worm.

Full Result:

1. Martin Lenaghan 162-15-0 peg 116
2. Glen Radford 141-03-0 peg 127
3. John Green 121-0-0 peg 123
4. Ryan Jordan 103-10-0 peg 86
5. Ray Hayward 100-11-0 peg 74
6. Jim Baines 99-11-0 peg 112

Top Silvers:

1. John Bradford 31-11-0 peg 97
2. Mike Owens 18-06-0 peg 125
3. Dave Wride 22-0-0 peg 88
4. Mike Nicholls 20-12-0 peg 80

4 comments:

Fishingken said...

Bet Terry was delighted to see you with your camera!

Silverfox Match Angling said...

He was actually - Ask for a copy for his scrap book. He's fine albeit a few aches and pains this morning.

No one has managed to perform the platform shuffle yet.

Mike Jones said...

Mike, you are a true journalist, leaving a drowning man in the water, to get your camera, shame on you!

Silverfox Match Angling said...

I did save Terry's wallet!!