Thursday 11 August 2011

Thursday 11/08/2011 - Viaduct Cost Saver - Campbell and Carey

Back to Viaduct for another Skivers match. I was looking forward to this match as I had been promised some home grown Kidney Beans (the Special One’s favourite vegetable) and Tomatoes by matey Terry and Angela Bruton. lucky enough, Mike Jones wasn’t fishing so I had his as well – scrummy.

We had a Lady fishing today – Dick Bulls Partner Sarah Purchase (Pictured right under instruction from Dick). It was a case of role reversal with Dick sat in the deck chair. Sarah did very well landing 27lb 13oz of Carp from peg 111. Lets hope this doesn’t catch on!!

For myself I had pulled peg 98 on Carey. I was delighted as it’s one of the better Skimmer pegs, plus it was the lake end peg. I was slightly concerned that I might have Carp trouble because of the space I had – and as it proved to be justified.

I set up a 4x16 Jolly for the Skimmers and soft 6 mm pellet over a mix of Micro and hard 4’s, followed by the usual paste rig all to be fished at 10 metres in to white water. Whilst waiting for the whistle I spotted some blowing in the LH margin so this persuaded me to set up a paste margin rig. On the whistle I fed the 10 metre line with a full pot, but started in the margin hoping it would produce a quick Tench. As it happens I think this was “fools blow” and produced nothing. Out on the 10 metre line and has luck would have it the wind which was blowing in to the end bank picked up and it became impossible to present so I had to repeat the feeding at 6 metres – bugger.

That’s better, as expected I was catching 4oz Skimmers initially with the bigger species coming later. The swim slowed so I re-fed, it then all went tits up, with all the Carp in Carey arriving in my swim. I had two flying 4lb Bream shed the hook after bouncing half way across Carey and ten lost foul hooked Carp, landing one 10 pounder caught in the mouth. I was tiring of changing rigs and re tying hooks. It was now half way stage and it was getting very emotional and frustrating – feeling sorry for myself. At this point I was thinking of waving the white flag and going home as I didn’t have an answer. The Carp were going berserk for the feed. I tried not feeding and all I did was to sit there bite less.

So on to the paste rig and first put in I thought I had hooked the bottom pulling has hard as I dare I decided to pull for the break, getting down to the elastic I could feeling something moving so back on the right end of the top set and I knew immediately I had hooked an Eel. This fish got the adrenalin pumping, but lucky enough it was lip hooked and was able to get it in the landing net a personal best of 3lb 1oz specimen – that made feel better. It was a day when you really had to put the feed in as the Carp and the Bream were really competing for it. I hadn’t seen this before which lead to me losing four more big Bream and five more foul hooked Carp. I did land eight Carp that weighed 76lb 8oz and my six Bream, the few small Skimmers and Eel weighed in at 26lb 5oz. I reckon I lost 20 lb of Bream which in itself is unusual which I put down to them having to compete with the Carp. My total weight just sneaking over the ton to 102lb 13oz this was only good enough for eight overall.

TO SAY THE LEAST IT'S BEEN AN EMOTIONAL DAY.

Bill Gilbert (pictured right with his Silvers catch) on next peg 96 had a lucky “break”. Bill broke his number four section and was left with only his top set to fish with and as luck would have it, this spare Bill the frustration of the gorging Carp, only hooking and losing one. Bill weighed 28lb 5oz for third in the Silvers – every cloud has a silver lining.

The match was won by Jamie Smith who had gone before I had chance of a photograph – another pin-up me thinks. Jamie drew peg 112 and landed 236lb 13oz all caught on the long pols up in the water using with banded, hair rig pellet. Not sure what he fed.

The Silvers was won by John Green using his usual method from peg 131 with 58lb 8oz.

It appeared today that the Carp had driven the Silvers into the margins as second weight was also caught short along the margin of peg 85.

Full Result:

1. Jamie Smith 236-13-0 peg 112
2. Mark Wynne 160-11-0 peg 78
3. Shaun Kittredge 153-08-0 peg 80
4. Dave 141-11-0 peg 126
5. A Perkins 126-04-0 peg 119
6. Martin Lenaghan 108-12-0 peg 127
7. Glen Radford 103-3-0 peg 115
8. Mike Nicholls 102-13-0 peg 98T

Top Silvers:

1. John Green 58-08-0 peg 131
2. Bryan Preston 44-08-0 peg 85
3. Bill Gilbert 28-05-0 peg 96

3 comments:

Mike Jones said...

Hope you enjoyed my dinner.

Steve Long said...

It was Jamie Smith,aka Cosmo and he caught all his carp on long pole and pellet shallow,not the lead. Cracking weight!

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Yes thanks, eat them yesterday - still got my share left though!!