Sunday 17 July 2011

Sunday 17/07/2011 - Carps AC Summer League - Round Five - Viaduct Fishery - Campbell and Carey

I watched the second half of Fish o Mania yesterday and it was clear that the fish weren’t feeding. It’s not surprising as one day it’s a glorious July summers day with high air pressure and the next we are thrown back to March winds and April showers with attendant low pressure, as it was today.

In to the draw box and out comes peg 129. I have drawn this peg once before which was so long ago I can’t remember what happen – not a lot I’m guessing. Because of the conditions I wasn’t expecting it to fish well at all especially the Silvers which was my only target as it’s the only category left to me in the league to pick up in. I have been itching to try a small Skimmer feeder and I thought this might be the order of the day – nice and tight. So having untangled the made up Normark 11 footer I set up two paste rigs one for the corner of the spit and the other to fish 10 metres up the edge of the spit. On the horn I fed the two paste rigs, the corner with pellet and corn and the 10 metre with just hard 4’s. Out went the Drennan feeder with Gimps Gold and Magic combination GB with triple maggot hook bait. Five casts later I had three 2lb Skimmers and a 1 pounder. During the next cast a Pigeon flew into the feeder breaking it off, so I had to reset up as quickly as I could, because I was getting quite excited. Next cast I had a small Carp and that was the end of it, I didn’t have another bite even though I tried various other baits. Unknown to me at this stage I had caught half my Silvers weight! So I went from thinking I had it sorted, to thinking I got it wrong, and I had. It was clear that the bait for the day was to be meat, which I didn’t have cut up. So instead of going back to Bela’s van and sorting it out I persevered with the paste along the spit and had three Tench, a Perch and a Gold Fish in between catching 7 small Carp. My Silvers weighed in at 15lb 9oz for third in the Silvers section (I was 3lb 6oz from picking up my ten peg section by default that was left to Scott Lovell. My total weight was a meagre 43lb 10oz for no where. So that’s me out of the reckoning in the overall league. The Silver lining is that I can now fish for Carp or Silvers on the last match.

I must mention Glenn Bailey who managed (sorry moaned) to win my ten peg section overall with 81lb by treble default! Well done matey, about time.

The match was won by Ray Hayward (pictured right with some of his catch) from peg 126 with 177lb 6oz. Ray caught at 14.5 metres fishing hard 8mm banded pellet shallow. Ray fed about 2 pints of pellet throughout the match.

The Silvers was won by Dave Roper (pictured lower right - it dosn't look like summer) with 41lb 4oz from peg 125. Dave fished meat at five metres catch good Skimmers until the Carp moved in pushing his total weight to 104lb 8oz.

Full Result:

1. Ray Hayward 176-0-0 peg 126
2. Tom Magnall 157-02-0 peg 123
3. Barry Fitchew 126-10-0 peg 116
4. Steve Denmead 105-03-0 peg 85
5. Dave Roper 104-08-0 peg 125
6. Paul Hurn 90-05-0 peg 114

Top Silvers:

1. Dave Roper 41-04-0 peg 125
2. Stu Foale 35-03-0 peg 115
3. John Green 34-06-0 peg 112

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Think there was another 35lb in silvers?

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Don't think so the next weight was 31lb - Bob Gullick.