Monday 4 July 2011

Sunday 03/07/2011 - Carps AC Summer League - Round Four - Viaduct Fishery - Campbell and Carey

What a glorious day and a busy one for me as it was up at 05:30 for Bela pickup at 06:30 then off to the Hill Top café, fishing all day then a rush back for a BBQ.

Bela arrived on time as usual, however, for a moment I thought we were off to Glastonbury as Bela was sporting his new flower power shorts (see picture right)! They must have brought him some luck as he picked up his £50 section money, so we will no doubt see more of them!

In to the draw bucket and out comes 131 – THAT’S three time this summer that I have pulled this peg and it’s an hate, hate relationship – unlike peg 116 which I have also drawn three time, so rough with the smooth. It looked for a while that peg 130 wasn’t drawn until Chris “Steptoe” Davis (that’s the name on the back of his tackle box) arrived on it having travelled up from Whiteacres.

The only way I was going to stay in the running in the overall league was to fish for Silvers it was the same for Chris Davis. I am finding it difficult to fish further than 11.5 metres at present due to pains in my neck and shoulders, so I limited my self to top set and out to 6 metres.I set up two Ronnie rigs two paste rigs, a margin corn rig and a 4x14 jolly for a multitude of baits – the kitchen sink to be precise and they all got a reasonable outing, which is never a good sign. The upshot was I caught two early margin Tench and then struggled to catch five Skimmers and a few Ronnie’s for the rest of the day. I did manage four accidental Carp in the last ¾ hour, which was time wasted as I should have switched back to the Ronnie’s (BSc in hindsight) which might have given me a silvers section win as my Silvers weighed in at 17lb 2oz - 3lb short of Lee Werrett’s accidental Skimmers from peg 129. Add my 17lb 10oz of Carp and I came last but one in the overall section. However, I did beat Steptoe.

The match was won by Andy Neal (pictured right) on peg 123 with another double ton of 232lb 9oz. Andy also picked up for second overall in the Silvers with 34lb 7oz accidental Tench, so a double header for him then. Andy started catch before most anglers had fed their swims, by mugging Carp on meat. Andy kept the Carp (and Silvers coming by fishing 14.5 metres and 7 metres along to the end bank fishing about one metre out fro the margins. Andy caught on meat over meat feeding about three tins throughout the day. I certainly wouldn’t bet against him winning the Fisho Final – best of luck matey.

The Silvers was won by Nige Milkins (pictured right - Yep thats him smiling) from peg 125 with 45lb 8oz. Nige caught all his fish at 5 metres using paste or 8mm hard pellet. His net consisted of a mix of both Tench and Skimmers to 3lb.

So off to my good friends, Lynne and Steve’s BBQ, Bela got an invite but he was too embarrassed to arrive in his Glasto's. It was a good evening with plenty of food and drink. I feel a bit jaded this morning. Picture right shows my long time friends with a rare picture of the Special One.

Full Result:

1. Andy Neal 232-09-0 peg 123
2. Barry Fitchew 158-05-0 peg 112
3. Steve Denmead 149-12-0 peg 132
4. Lee Werrett 120-01-0 peg 129
5. Mr Bad Handwriter 111-14-0 peg 119
6. Dave Bad Handwriter 89-07-0 peg 110

Top Silvers:

1. Nige Milkins 45-08-0 peg 125
2. Andy Neal 34-07-0 peg 123
3. Paul Faiers 33-10-0 peg 115

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like reading the blog of your fishing exploits Mike, but the political commentaries??? Your so right wing I think you should be working for the Daily Mail, or maybe it's reading the mail thats puts these ideas into your head!

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Whats wrong with the Dail Mail -read it every day. Better than the News of the World which was closed today by that cunning Rupert Murdoch!!