Sunday 26 June 2011

Sunday 26/06/2011 - Carps AC Summer League - Viaduct Fishery - Campbell and Carey

We were promised a heat wave to start on Saturday which didn’t happen so I was sceptical whether it would happen today. But yes it did. But I don’t think it was as hot as forecast.

I decided to stay back a few in the draw queue as I always seem to draw Carey if I am in front. So I was delighted when I drew one of my favourite pegs - now a regular- peg 116 on Campbell. The Welsh boyos drew well with Andy Neal in one corner, peg 132 and Lee Werrett the corner peg 123 (I have been fishing Viaduct on and off since they change from Trout to coarse and I am yet to draw 123).

I set up the usual 4x14 Boy Jolly for the meat at 7 metres out in front., and a paste rig suitable for both RH and LH margins. That will do for starters. On the whistle I put 8mm meat of the size 14 hook and kindered in a pot of 6mm meat. Happy days (perhaps) as I had a Tench first put in. That was it for this line because the small Skimmers and Ronnie’s moved in – not a good sign. I had been lightly feeding both margins with hard 4’s but was forced in to them far too early. However, I was having problems wit the small fish  gnawing away at the paste so I mixed a 1kg of Gimps Gold and fed it at 4 metres out in front laced with 1 pint of caster. This solved the problem for about one hour!! During this time I had a run of two Tench from each margin with paste before swapping to the other margin. With one hour to go I decided to feed the LH margin with two pints of caster (thanks Captain Tom) in the anticipation of catching some of the big Perch that inhabit this peg. I did have three decent ones on whole Dendrabena until the big Carp moved in I had three bigun’s and a couple of smaller one’s before the end of the match which wasn’t what I wanted. I did have a couple of decent Skimmers on the paste down the RH margin. My Carp weighed 33lb and my silvers 29lb 3oz. This put me second overall in the 5 peg section and first in the Silvers 10 peg section for a £50 pick up. I was a couple of fish short in winning the overall Silvers; I won’t talk about the ones I lost as I suspect everyone had the same experience.

The match was won by Andy Neal (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 214lb 7oz from peg 132. Andy caught on both pole and shallow waggler fishing meat over loose fed meat. Andy fed about six big tins, with a tin or two being wasted down the margin end bank.

The Silvers winner was Paul Faiers (again) from peg 81. Paul caught some sizable Tench and Perch down to the Monk using Worm over caster. However, most of his fish fell to his favourite light Skimmers feeder fished at 25 metres using double red maggot over laced GB.

The man (well boy) of the match for me (well Bela who was drawn next him thought he fished very well), was Lewis Greenwood (pictured right) from peg 112 with a second overall weight of 206lb 7oz. Well done lad.

I say this without fear of contradiction - "Viaduct is the best fishery in the South West turning in great results week in and week out". This is down to excellent fishery Management from Steve Long and Paul Greenwood who are both great anglers. Many other fisheries could take good advise from them.

Full Result:

1. Andy Neal 214-07-0 peg 132
2. Lewis Greenwood 206-07-0 peg 112
3. Dick Bull 180-02-0 peg 110
4. Phil Cardwell 146-12-0 peg 115
5. Alan Oram 124-07-0 peg 128
6. Steve Jackson 110-09-0 peg 98

Top Silvers:

1. Paul Faiers 32-09-0 peg 81
2. Lee Werrett 32-06-0 peg 123
3. Bob Gullick 32-02- 0 peg 131

No comments: