Sunday 19 June 2011

Sunday 19/06/2011 - Avon Angling Float Only Open - Chiltern Trinity - Wildmarsh - Round Three

Father’s day – My card started with – “May Fathers Day hold the happy events that set the day apart...” Not quite. I think I am safe speaking for many Dads in this respect today. The fishing just didn’t live up to expectations with a few Blanks and even more DNW’s. Hey, it’s a day out with your friends and long time acquaintances’.

It looks as if someone is trying to organise Tony Rixon (don’t even think about it) – see picture right, I initially thought Steve Evans was organising a-bring-and-buy sell with his chair and wall paper table – guaranteed that it’s never seen any paste.

I was hoping for one of the pegs in the legs but no, out popped end peg 67 on the road bank. I had drawn the best Auto Electrician in the county in the knockout – Tim Clark. I was delighted to see him walk past me to be also on the road bank – I had a chance.

The peg is a in a bit of a corner and very shallow out to 13 meters, so I thought the waggler would be the banker. So I spent 20 minutes getting it just right holding it on station fairly easily. I also set a 4x14 Boy Jolly to be fished out in front with CW&C and at the same depth at 13 metres at 11o clock over neat GB.

On the whistle I threw in ten balls of GB laced with micro and caster at 25 metres, only to hear a cry from Clayton Hudson on the next peg that I was balling his peg! Not the case, but understood what Clayton was saying as his peg was looking towards mine. Clayton was still setting up his waggler after the whistle so I had no idea that he was planning to fish my peg! I followed this up with a pot of CWC at 13 metres. I started on a piece of worm and had five Ronnie’s straight off before it died – Eels moved in I suspect. So time for my waggler banker. On went double red maggot and I was soon expecting a bite as there was plenty of signs of feeding fish. I spent the next hour with only some Skimmer slime from a liner to show for it – that wasn’t quite true as I had a visit from Capitan Tom Mangnall who left me with three pints of caster –thanks matey. Time to open a 13 metre GB line. I started by fishing single caster over it and had a run of Ronnie’s, however, there was a bit of shelling going on so switched to single or double maggot, this accounted for the odd small Ronnie until the last hour when I set up a paste rig over the GB line converting to pellet feed, however, nothing to show for this tactical move. Come the end (thank you) I weighed 4lb 4oz for 3 points beating the two anglers to my left. However, the cloud had a bit of a silver lining as Tim Clark weighed 1lb 8oz so I managed to scrape thorough the knockout.

The match was won by Chris Davis (pictured right with the smiling Silvers winner) from fancied peg 40 with 53lb 9oz.Chris caught at both 5 and 13 metres down his RH margin. Losing quite a few Carp I understand.

The Silvers was won by Dick Bull from peg 21 with 23lb. Dick caught on CW&C at 13 metres.

Full Result:

1. Chris Davis 53-09-0 peg 40
2. Steve Segar 51-05-0 peg 9
3. Gary Etheridge 28-01-0 peg Island 11
4. Matt Tomes 27-14-0 peg 11
5. Tony Rixon 25-14-0 peg 22 (again)
6. Dick Bull 23-0-0 peg 21

Top Silvers:

1. Dick Bull 23-0-0 peg 21
2. Tony Rixon 22-08-0 peg 22
3. Bob Gullick 20-04-0 peg 20

So this is where the Skimmers were!

No comments: