Wednesday 4 May 2011

Wednesday 05/05/2011 - Carps AC - Tockenham Reservior

Carps AC decided that today would be a training day for the youth of the club and under the supervision of Bill Ferris Tom Thick was allowed to peg. Tom did a reasonable first time effort. However, one golden rule is always look up before you decide on the peg. Tom luckily drew peg 3 (unlucky for the rest of us) which had a huge branch precariously hanging over his head (see picture right).

I drew peg 7 which put me out of the leg for once. But was told I had a pleasure angler next to me. Arriving at the peg I found I was pegged next to Roger Warlock (pictured lower right) a SWWL and Commercial House stalwart. Roger hadn’t realised that there was a match on this bank and started to pack up. I tried to persuade him to stay, but being a match angler he moved down to the dam where he met up with his buddy. Before Roger left we had a good chat about the pros and cons of fishing the river - more cons that pros these days. Nice hat mate!

Colin drew next to me on peg 6 and moaned about his peg all day (Tom). Colin’s peg was similar to mine in that you needed at least 16 metres of pole to clear the Sedges each side of the narrow swim with cut down stick-ups down the middle. Luckily I had a feeder rod – Colin’s didn’t. For the first time for about five years I left the pole in the holdall, setting up the feeder rod and waggler, both to be fished over the same line at 25 metres where I had about 8 to 9 foot of water. I started on the traditional feeder methods of red maggot, caster and worm. However, I was getting bitted out so switched to the micro pellet in the Skimmer GB with 3mm expander on the hook. I caught small 6oz Skimmers steady all day but they really needed tackling with the pole as I struck far too many times on liners. I did hook a couple of Bream which kited off in to the Sedges and cost me a couple of hooks. I did have a go on the waggler but the wind didn’t help with the presentation, I did have a small Ronnie on it though! All in all it was quite a frustrating day with too many small Skimmers in the swim and not enough in the net. I ended up with 29lb 12oz for third overall.

The match was won by Tom Thick (pictured right nice pantaloons) with a massive 49lb 12oz of Skimmers to 2lb from peg 3. Tom fished the pole at 7 metres and 16 metres using 6mm expander pellet on the hook fished over the same feed. Tom fed about four pins of 6mm expander throughout.

No Carp were caught.

Full Result:

1. Tom Thick 49-12-0 peg 3
2. Mark Tanner 39-0-0 peg 10
3. Mike Nicholls 29-12-0 peg 7
4. Steve Dawson 24-05-0 peg 2
5. Bill Ferris 23-0-0 peg 1
6. Charlie Barns 17-0-0 peg 4

No comments: