Saturday 14 May 2011

Thursday 12/05/2011 - Viaduct Cost Cutter - Campbell And Carey

I travelled with Glenn Bailey today and I am not sure whether it was the christening of a net keep net or Glenn is a bloody jinx. I never seem to do very well when travelling with Glenn so he gets the blame.

I drew peg 85 on Carey and the wind had come round 180 degrees since Sunday and I found a similar nasty wind waiting for me, straight in to my left shoulder. I wasn’t enamoured with the peg. So a decision had to be made Carp or Silvers. I decided on Silvers early doors with the option of Carp at 5 metres down the RH margin with paste. Starting on the meat at 7 meters with a 4x14 rig was all wrong the wind not helping matters. With just a few tiny Skimmers I switched to 6mm soft pellet feeding some hard 4’s and another couple of tiny Skimmers, things weren’t going right. It was obvious the venue Silvers weren’t generally responding, so I set up a Ronnie rig and started to fish the top set with caster and caught a few more small Skimmers and Perch. At least the presentation was better. After two hours I had about 5lb so decided to switch to Carp, However, first put in Steve long came along a thought 5lb of Silvers was a good weight as Campbell Silvers had totally switched off. So I decided to switch back to the Silvers and kept a few small fish coming up to the last half hour and decided to try the margin, in two put-ins I had two Carp for 26lb 5oz! Unfortunately no coin as my 12lb 14oz of Silvers fell short by 4oz. My total weight of 39lb 3oz was worth nothing either. I really can’t blame lady luck or Glenn, only myself, I really felt as if I didn’t fish the peg that well. I was left wondering what might had happened if I fished for Carp earlier.

The match was won by Tom Thick from peg 119 with 118lb 2oz. Tom fished the peg in the usual manner, up to the end bank. There is no picture of Tom today as he was left at the venue by travelling partner and next door neighbour Charlie Barns and Tom was wandering around for a lift home!

The Silvers was won by Paul Blake (pictured right) from peg 80 with 26lb of Skimmers. Paul fished chopped worm and caster.

Glenn drew Silver flyer peg 123 and weighed 45lb 10oz of mainly Carp.

Full Result:

1. Tom Thick 118-02-0 peg 119
2. Martin Lenaghan 117-04-0 peg 94
3. Nick Collier 103-07-0 peg 118
4. Bob Gullick 102-13-0 peg 90
5. Jim Baines 87-07-0 peg 128
6. Paul H 72-11-0 peg 115

Top Silvers:

1. Paul Blake 26-0-0 peg 80
2. Steve Crawford 17-14-0 peg 97
3. Bob Gullick 16-03-0 peg 90
4. Andy Shields 13-02-0 peg 76

No comments: