Sunday 17 April 2011

Sunday 17/04/2011 - Carps AC - Bob Price Birthday Match - Boyd Valley

Being “Bob the Bread’s” 73rd Birthday match (pictured right with his BD cake) he treated us to cakes and soft drinks – Happy Birthday matey and wish you many more.

I had some real competition for the Silvers today as good friend Darren Gillman managed a pass out. We both once again ended up pegged next to each other. I was on peg 6 and Darren peg 7. I thought Darren had the slightly better peg as he was closer to the small amount of ripple than me. My peg was flat calm, which isn’t conducive for Ronnie fishing. I thought we were in for a close encounter – all in good fun.

I set up five Ronnie rigs for all corners of the peg, all rigs to be fished with single caster over loose fed caster. With a lot of hard work I kept the Ronnie’s coming but no where near as many as previous sessions, plus they were a lot smaller. It was soon apparent that it wasn’t fishing that well as even the Carp Slayers were struggling. I noticed that Darren was taking a lot longer to bait up than me and realised during the post match debrief that he was using maggot hook bait because he struggled to catch with the caster over caster. I thought it was close between Darren and me at the weigh in but Darren thought not, convinced he was 10lb behind me in the Silvers. I weighed first and put one Foul hooked Carp on the scales for 4lb 13oz and 22lb12oz of Ronnie’s for a total weight of 27lb 9oz. Darren was nearly right as his Silvers went 13lb 10oz. However, I was delighted to find that I had not only won the Silvers but also the match overall (pictured right is the Silvers winner by default with the match winner). As there was only one payout in the Silver pool it was double delight that matey Darren picked up the £50 by default.

It’s about time I beat him off the next peg.

Full Result:

1. Mike Nicholls 27-09-0 peg 6
2. Terry Church 24-10-0 peg 5
3. Mark Tanner 23-07-0 peg 11
4. Martin Alexander 21-09-0 peg 4
5. John Thompson 19-01-0 peg 9
6. Darren Gillman 18-08-0 peg 7

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 22-12-0 peg 6
2. Darren Gillman 13-10-0 peg 7

No comments: