Thursday 10 March 2011

Thursday 10/03/2011 - Bathampton AA Silvers Championship - Huntstrete - Round Six - Withy Pool

I am safe in saying that the conditions today seriously impacted the fishing of every angler. Primarily there was a strong to gale force South Westerly blowing at cloud level. However, at lake level it was a different story all together. The wind was converted to strong gusts hitting everyone at all points of the compass. This made holding the pole and presentation very difficult to impossible most of the time. I had a first today seeing a water spout which was formed on the surface of the lake and was approximately 12 foot diameter lifting the water some 2 foot. I was also amazed how fast the wind can change direction.

I was still in the Knockout with four of us left; I drew Bob Price who had drawn end peg 41. Bob said he was going to beat me with big Silvers – true to his word as it happened.

In to the draw bait container and out comes peg 43. Happy with this peg – normally! Martin Alexander said I could expect to catch Carp on this peg, we’ll see.

I had packed a feeder rod because of the expected high winds and in case I drew in the low sixties. But because peg 43 is narrow I left it in the car. I set up one Slimmer rig a 4x16 Jolly to be fished just down the self at 10 metres. Surprisingly as there was no appreciable tow it was just about the right weight. I also set up a short Ronnie rig – I can’t remember why now!! On the whistle I fed four balls of Skimmer GB laced with a few casters and pinkies at 10 metres. Out with single red maggot and - nothing. On to a single pinkie and I had a few 1oz Ronnie’s before I latched in to a 9lb “Barny” type Carp (short and plump). So Martin was right and I think the issue of Carp was to keep my Ronnie’s disappearing for long spells. I was struggling not only with being bite less but with the wind. It was so bad Steve Jefferies on next peg 42 packed up early. With 1 ½ hour left I had enough of pole fencing with the wind and went to the car and got the Feeder rod. It wasn’t very productive for the twenty minutes I used it, but it did give my arms a rest. My Silvers weighed in at 4lb 13oz for nowhere and my single Carp went 9lb 9oz for a consolation pick up of first in the Carp pool.

As predicted Bob Price (pictured right with his runner up catch) beat me very easily with 14lb 11oz of big Skimmers - well done matey. Bob now faces his good friend Bill Ferris in the knockout final who knocked out Rich Coles.

The match was won for the second consecutive match by Paul Staite with 24lb 14oz from end peg 60.Paul caught eight Bream on the pole using 4 mm soft pellet hook bait fished over and mix of micro and 4 mm expander.

Full Result:

1. Paul Staite 24-14-0 peg 60
2. Bob Price 14-11-0 peg 41
3. Harry Muir 13-15-0 peg 62
4. Mike Jones 10-09-0 peg 69
5. Chris Rolfe 8-13-0 peg 48
6. Paul Barnfield 6-05-0 peg 45

Top Carp:

1. Mike Nicholls 9-09-0 peg 43
2. Bob Price 7-07-0 peg 41

No comments: