Wednesday 9 February 2011

Wednesday 09/02/2011 - Carps AC Plantation Winter League - Round One

It seemed a long time since I fished Plantation Main Lake so used my blog (on line diary) to refresh how I had caught on previously matches. This aftr all was one of the main reasons for starting a blog in the first instance.

I was planning on travelling with Leyton Palmer however, I had an early phone call from Bela who had booked in as a guest, a day off as it was his 43rd birthday, so we were off early trying to find a café that was open – through Bishopsworth out to the Airport café – neither open so it was down to Budgens for my favourite breakfast baguette, plus I bought Bela a birthday cake.

Arriving at the draw there was much discussion on the numbers fishing and the merits of having guest and whether their points should count. The democratic vote was that guest points will not count. I abstained as there was a danger that all of the guest would be in one section with one league member. As far as the numbers fishing, I again personally thought that 24 anglers were about the maximum - more the merrier me thinks.

In to the draw and out comes peg 3. I have not fished this area of the Lake before, but was told it was OK for Silvers but not Carp (this was like telling Tony Rixon that his swim had no Rudd!). What was abit worrying was that I can remember Chris Fox struggling in this peg (or near by) last year and he is a bloody good Silvers Angler. Arriving at the peg I realised that I had plenty of room with a nice open peg and not an island in view, but still couldn’t set my box up on the decrepit platform! I set up three Ronnie rigs – one for short at 4 metres, one shallow at 6 metres and the last for depth at 7 metres – all set to fish caster. I also set up a Skimmer rig a 4x14 Jolly to fish 3mm expander at 11.5 metres. On the whistle I fed a six caster at 7 metres and potted in a small ball of GB laced with 6 - 2mm expander pellet. I started at 7 metres and basically stayed with it all match trying the other rigs on the odd occasion. The bigger Ronnie’s were up in the water but impossible to hook. Carp were blowing over the GB line so left that alone! The short line was too short with the fish not coming that close. I caught Ronnie’s to 1lb through out on the 7 metres line boosted by a 2lb Perch and two 1 ½ lb Skimmers. I weighed 27lb 8oz for first in the Silvers and seventh overall.

I do think the way Carps payout is spot on with equal payouts in the Carp pool and Silvers pool. This probably equates well with the numbers fishing for both species.

The match was won by Dave Wride (pictured right with the Silvers winner and bottom right with half his Carp catch - are there tablets to get anglers to smile - sorry this is daves smile) from peg 39 with 71lb 6oz. Dave started well, catching Skimmers to 2lb on the soft pellet over kinder potted 2mm expander at 13 metres. When this swim died Dave later switched to is LH margin at 11.5 metres with pellet and corn to land nine decent Carp.

The special one was out to lunch today with his her friend so for dinner I would have to fend for myself which would either be a take away (preferred) or beans on toast. However, as it was Bela birthday we ended up in the Cherry Tree pub – a huge mixed grill for Birthday boy and a Lasagne for me. We were joined later by Leyton Palmer, who gave us blow by blow account on how he came in third overall. As he was on the next peg I did see him trying to pull the opposite island towards him! Good company. Another memorable day out.

Full Result:

1. Dave Wride 71-06-0 peg 39
2. John Thompson 50-08-0 peg 7
3. Leyton Palmer 40-07-0 peg 4
4. Paul Haines 36-0-0 peg 25
5. Bela Bakos 33-06-0 peg 11
5. Mike Owens 33-06-0 peg 26

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 27-08-0 peg 3
2. Steve Dawson 22-07-0 peg 1
3. Steve Kedge 20-07-0 peg 15
4. Dave Wride 19-05-0 peg 39

3 comments:

Bristol Psv said...

"The special one was out to lunch today with his friend so for dinner I would have to fend for myself " ..... Is there something you want to share with us?

Chris Fox said...

I reckon your talking about this match Mike.

http://maesknollmatchangling.blogspot.com/2009/12/plantation-carps-wednesday-xmas-match.html

I've not ignored the roach since then at Plantation, as they are chunky fish.

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Chris

Thats the one. I think I was helped by the fact the wind was blowing in to that end. This was supported by Dave Wride's weight on facing in to the wind and catching in the margin.