Thursday 17 February 2011

Thursday 17/02/2011 - Bathampton AA Silvers Championship - Huntstrete - Round Four - Withy Pool

It’s with great sorrow that I record the passing away of Paul Garrett. Paul passed away last night quietly in his sleep, aged just 52. Paul was very much a family man and always put them first. Secondary he was a highly respected match angler who although very competitive, was friendly, helpful and above all supportive. These characteristic are only found in great anglers. Paul was the first angler I made a beeline to when fishing Viaduct Fishery to get the low down on my peg. Rest in peace mate, but oh too much early – you must be very special indeed. Paul leaves his wife and nine children. I hope son Joss carries on match fishing in his Dads name.

On a happier note we were today graced with the attendance of The BAA Secretary Dave Crookes (in a none fishing role you understand). Believe it or not Dave has been on the committee for 31 years. I dread to think of the number of hours he has given up over these years so we can go fishing. Dave and the BAA Committee need our respect and support for what they do especially at this time.

Back to the fishing, we were on Withy today and Mike Jones in his usual efficient manner had his results board hanging from a tree ready for our arrival (pictured right). With twenty fishing Mike had the option to take out two pegs, I recommended pegs 74 and 41. However, Mike decided to keep all the pegs in the draw. Guess what, my pairs partner Paul Barnfield drew peg 41 and I drew peg 74, what’s the chances of that? Whilst tackling up we were bombarded by two flocks of Canadian Geese with the usual squabbling and horrendous noise (all in French). Let’s get a shooting party up together and shoot the fecking lot.

I know it’s a Carp peg but that couldn’t enter the equation today as they don’t count in the league, knockout or pairs. I was also told that there were no Skimmers in the area either but plenty of small Ronnie’s. So it was an out and out attack for the Ronnie’s then (well nearly). I set up a two rigs one to be fished at 12 o clock at 7 metres which gave me about five foot at the deepest. The other rig was to be fished at 2 o clock to my left towards the aerator in two and half foot. I started by feeding four big balls of my Ronnie mix of GB at 7 metres and one ball on the inside line where I would loose feed a few grains of hemp over the top. I started on the long line and caught small Ronnie’s straight off. It was a 1oz fish, one a bung, when it slowed I changed to the short line and caught a similar stamp of fish. It was bloody hard work. I basically carried on with this, topping up with two more balls of GB at7 metres at half time until the last half hour when I had a 1 ½ lb Skimmer. The last twenty minutes I spent with bigger baits hoping for another, but it didn’t happen. I weighed 9lb 12oz for second overall. My partner came third with 8lb 12oz also helped with a 2 ½ Skimmer. Jonesey I was right you should have left these two pegs out!! My weight was enough to get me through the knockout and kept Paul and I in the lead in the pairs.

The match was won by that man again Bob Price (pictured right) with 18lb 4oz of Expat Bream from peg 45. Bob caught on soft expander pellet over micro pellet landing fish to 3lb. With two match wins in consecutive days Bob put his success down to his new pole. However, I think the draw might have helped a bit Bob!

Mike Jones (pictured bottom right with his catch) was fourth and last in the money with 8lb 12oz from his favourite peg number 69.

Full result:

1. Bob Price 18-04-0 peg 45
2. Mike Nicholls 9lb 12oz peg 74
3. Paul Barnfield 8-12-0 peg 41
4. Mike Jones 8-10-0 peg 69
5. Terry Bruton 8-03-0 peg 61
6. Harry Muir 5-12-0 peg 46

Top Carp:

No Carp caught so a pools roll over to next match - Is Martin Alexander now taking the Silvers serious?

6 comments:

Mike Jones said...

I will not be taking any notice of your recomdations of what pegs to leave out in future. Leave out 41 & 74 you said, 2nd &3rd on the day!

Silverfox Match Angling said...

It was the quality of the anglers that saved these pegs from disaster!!!!

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Hang on, since when have you listened to my suggestions?

Mike Jones said...

Mike, Your most endearing feature is your modesty.

I always listen to what members have to say, but judging by the vastly differing opinions I receive nobody really knows what they are talking about!!

Silverfox Match Angling said...

As I have said many times Withy is very difficult to peg. There are as many opinions as there are anlers.

Mike Jones said...

anlers???