Sunday 7 November 2010

Sunday 07/11/2010 - South West Teams of Four - Bullocks Farm - Round Five

About eight months ago I asked Bob Gullick to get me a Garbolino fishing cap, which has a hat clip on the back. I am continually losing mine to the wind. Bob promised he would sort one out for me. And today, the first time I have seen him since then was for Bob to hand over that hat - thanks Bob - a man true to his word.

Bela and I were first in the queue for Breakie at Bullocks Farm CafĂ©. I must say it was much better than Shipham. With Charlie working, hence not available (I thought he had retired – or was it retarded) Tom Thick stood in as captain, until he had to count the money – that was left to me!

With two sections on Match Lake, one on both North Pool and Rushcombe, it was a complete turn round to the scramble for Match Lake as everyone wanted to be pegged on Rushcombe – including me, but only for the colourful Silvers. Well only 11 could draw here and in our team that was left for Rich Coles which was fancied end peg 22 – I gave him my thoughts on how I would approach the peg which unfortunately for me he followed. I was on North Pool 6 which I was told was good for Carp in the LH margin at 3 metres with caster fished over caster. However, Nick Collins gave me a good tip, which was to start at 5 metres down the track with Maggot over GB.

Having settled in my peg along comes Rip Off who had drawn the peg 12 which was directly behind me. Now I think Left handed anglers should be made to ship left handed at all times and not swap around because it suits them. I lost count the number of times Rip Off’s pole jabbed me in the ribs, at one time I thought of confiscating his butt section as it was technically in my swim. What a bloody untidy angler he is, with tackle strewn everywhere. I got him back by putting my used banana skin in his net bag, that will make things smell a little better!

I set up three rigs: 1x 4x12 Jolly for the Silver for fishing expander pellet, maggot, etc… (I did bring some Pinkies - Chris Fox would be proud - which stayed in the bait bag). A 0.250 gram Drennan Carbo and finally a Drennan wire stem Chop which suited both and far margins. I started as Nick suggest but feeding Micro instead of GB at 5 metres and first put in on the Carbo with single maggot I had an 8lb Carp, followed soon after with a 4lb Carp. I then lost a foul hooked fish followed by an 8oz Crucian. The swim then died. But what I didn’t know was that Matt Tainton on peg 16 had lost a top set complete with a 10lb Carp. This Carp plus top set apparently swam all round the snake lake up to Pete Sivell’s swim who nearly landed both top set and Carp. The fish then swam all the way back, going through my swim twice!! I had been feeding caster in to the LH margin and decided to give that a go, but there was no sign of life there, I did try it from time to time with various baits but to no avail. I must say the far bank looked a banker for some Carp later, especially the Duck run. I opened a new swim at 11.5 metres down the track to my left, in line with empty pallet peg 7. I kinder potted in 2mm expander to fish either 4mm or 2mm expander over this feed. Straight away I knew there were a few Crucians about but they really wanted the hook bait moving on the drop, to which I obliged them catching twenty or so before giving the far bank a try. The upshot was that this hour was completely wasted as I didn’t have bite on any of the baits I tried. I just couldn’t understand why. I spent the last half hour back on the Crucians landing another four plus a 2lb Carp. I now wish I stuck with the Silvers throughout. However, I wouldn't have been saying that if I had one more Carp as I would have picked up in both pools! My Crucians weighed in at 18lb 11oz and my three Carp 14lb 2oz for a total of 32lb 13oz. This put me fourth overall and second in the Silvers by 8oz (one more Crucian) - bugger.

The team came a credible joint third with 28 points. I am sure it wasn't anything to do with Charlie not being there!

The match was won by Pete Sivell (pictured right receiving a shiny £1 coin form runner up Phil Harding who was on next peg North Pool 2) from NP peg 4 with 40lb 15oz. Pete caught nine Carp in his LH margin fished about 1 metre from the bank side edge fishing double red maggot over caster.

The Silvers was won by, you guessed it Rich Coles with 19lb 3oz from Rushcombe peg 22. Rich fished single red over micro alternating between three swims.

Oh, yes Rip Off could only manage 4 points from a possible 11 from peg 12, but believe it or not he won our section by TRIPLE default - how jammy is that!!

Full Result:

1. Pete Sivell 40-15-0 peg 4 NP
2. Phil Harding 37-0-0 peg 2 NP
3. Dean Mallin 35-0-0 peg 30 Match
4. Mike Nicholls 32-13-0 peg 6 NP
5. Matt Tainton 30-09-0 peg 16 NP
6. Dave Roper 26-14-0 peg 15 Rush

Top Silvers:
1. Rich Coles 19-03-0 peg 22 Rush

2. Mike Nicholls 18-11-0 peg 6NP

No comments: