Thursday 28 October 2010

Thursday 28/10/2010 - Bathampton Over 55's - Bridge Pool

It official, Colin Golding is retiring from running the “Coffin Dodgers” and Mike Jones is taking over. However, Colin will still be fishing the matches as usual. Mike is taking over on the day of our Christmas match. Mike is also running the BAA Silvers league starting in January 2011 – only a few places left, so give Mike a call on 07776 196040 to book in. Looking through the archives I found a very interesting article about a certain Mike Jones and a Malcolm Murfet. Both of them were organising angling some 50 years ago, and still at it, as the Evening Post article printed in 1960 explains (shown right – you will need to magnify it to read all the detail – but well worth while). The GS stands for Grammar School and not Girl School as I first thought!

Walking round Bridge Pool before the draw with Rich Coles we discussed the merits of peg 18. Rich explained that he won a match from it last year (I didn’t tell him I had won four from it). Rich had caught Carp down to the RH tree (about 11.5 metres away). I have always caught to the Left. So I thought if I drew it today (again) I would give it a try. Guess what out comes peg 18 (to a few groans). I have also done well with the Silvers from this peg so these would be my first priority. I had some GB left over from the weekend (been frozen since then – waste not want not) so on the whistle I cupped in five (have I over done the feed?) Satsuma size balls laced with 2mm expander pellet at 7 metres which is the bottom of the inside shelf giving 9 foot. I was expecting to catch skimmers over this with my usual 4x16 Jolly and 4mm expander pellet. I also cupped in a few grains of corn down to the recommended tree with a hand full of casters. Starting on the 4mm expander pellet and then, nothing ensued – so I switched to single live red maggot and caught Skimmers up to 1lb steady for about 45 minutes. Just when I was thinking of a good Silvers weight I foul hooked a Carp and the swim died to I cupped in the remainder of the GB - 2 two Satsuma’s. The fish returned but it was a lot slower after an hour and half another foul hooked Carp and a completely dead swim – yes, I had over done the feed but not for feeding the Silvers off, but for pulling in the Carp! I then made the decision to fish the remainder of the match for Carp and set about fishing down to the tree and second put in I had a 9lb Carp in the net, which was one of six landed and one breaking me – damaged line. The problem was that after every fish a long wait preceded it as the fish would scare off in to the far neck of the arm taking and some coaxing back. My Silvers weighed in at 10lb 14oz and my six Carp 50lb 2oz for a grand total of 60lb. This put me fourth in the Silvers and first overall. I must say I had a very enjoyable day especially with the weather being so mild and dry.

The Silvers was won by Mike Jones from peg 29 with 16lb 15oz. Mike fished his usual top and bottom float fished to hand on a 5 metre whip. Switching later to his beloved waggler fished at depth towards the island. Mike caught on maggot over GB and maggot.

It was good to see Chris Rolfe (pictured right with his Silvers catch) out fishing again and still doing well coming third in the Silvers and sixth overall. It’s all about presentation and feeding and you still got it matey – see I didn’t mention about your float!

Full Result:

1. Mike Nicholls 61-0-0 peg 18
2. Ian Sheppard 45-02-0 peg 17
3. Rich Coles 44-07-0 peg 28
4. Bob Price 40-07-0 peg 33
5. Terry Bruton 37-04-0 peg 23
6. Chris Rolfe 28-01-0 peg 16

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Jones 16-15-0 peg 29
2. Chris Snow 12-10-0 peg 31
3. Chris Rolfe 11-07-0 peg 16
4. Mike Nicholls 10-14-0 peg 18

No comments: