Wednesday 29 September 2010

Wednesday 29/09/2010 - Carps AC - Sedges - Brick Lake

It’s been one year and four days since I last fished Sedges, hard to believe as it is one of my favourite Silvers venues. We had the usual warm welcome from Denise followed up with a hot cup of tea. I must say Jamie and Denise have put in a lot of hard work since I was here last, adding a site for touring Caravans.

The BBC did their usual overstatement wrt weather. We did have a bit of light rain but overall it wasn’t that bad a day – lightish wind and overcast for most of it. I was hoping to draw pegs 7 or 15 and not to draw any of the early pegs. In to the hat and out comes peg 4. Umm, no mans land. As always I had a plan. I set up a 4x16 Jolly to be fished at 7 metres and assembled my Normark 11ft no1 Feeder rod as back up. That was it. I mixed up some GB comprising ½ Kilo of Gimps Gold with a big dash of Sensas Magic. On the whistle I feed 4 big balls at 7 meters and put double red maggot on the hook. The wind was blowing hard for the first hour and I was finding it difficult to pick up any tow, in fact the float was being blown through with the wind a bit too quick so I had to put some lead and line on the deck. After half hour I had no signs of any fish at all. I could see Leyton Palmer catching really well on peg 7 as was John Dursley on peg 12. Either side of me hadn’t had a bite either. So I decided to fish the maggot feeder at 25 metres or so, with again double red on the hook. Another 15 minutes passed with no indications. Rich Coles having started on the feeder on next peg 5 had come in on the pole and landed a decent Eel. So I decided to see if I could catch one, plus the wind had lightened and change direction. So I started to kinder pot in some old casters left from the weekend again with double red on the hook. The upshot was I didn’t catch an Eel, but started to catch Skimmers from 1lb to 2 ½ lb steady and I didn’t look back. I weighed 41lb 8oz for second in the match and second in the Silvers. I think that none productive first hour cost me first in the Silvers.

I must say how I have missed fishing this venue, I had a very memorable day, I just hope I can remember how I fished it for the next time I down here – have to get one of those Blackberry thingy’s to use on the bank!

Both the Silvers and overall was won by Leyton Palmer (pictured right with his net of Skimmers - who doesn't understand what NO RIGHT TURN MEANS) from peg 7 with 55lb consisting of one Carp and 47lb 7oz of Skimmers. Leyton caught a few Skimmers on the feeder, with the majority coming to the pole at 13 metres using pellet hook bait over pellet – well done matey.

Full Result:

1. Leyton Palmer 55-06-0 peg 7
2. Mike Nicholls 41-08-0 peg 4
3. Rich Coles 28-0-0 peg 5
4. John Dursley 24-08-0 peg 12
5. Ray Wickham 20-12-0 peg 15
6. Colin Golding 15-02-0 peg 13

Top Silvers:

1. Leyton Palmer 47-07-0 peg 7
2. Mike Nicholls 41-08-0 peg 4

No comments: