Sunday 22 August 2010

Sunday 22/08/2010 - Carps AC - Rood Ashton

With John Bennett home looking after his good Wife Betty due to her resent illness so stalwart Colin Golding stood in to run the match. Judging by recent results they are already missing you down the City ground – get well soon Betty.

After a great breakfast at Wetherspoons in Kingswood (I couldn’t eat it all – Bela did) it was off to one of my favourite venues – Rood Ashton. I can’t understand why there isn’t an open here every Sunday – food for thought me thinks as it will suit all anglers and methods. I had a chat with the owners Son Alan, during our discussions he did say that there had been some de-stocking of the Lake, I am on the fence as to whether this is a good thing or not. Time will tell.

I drew peg 7 and Bela end peg 8. Having walked round the Lake before hand most of the fish were in the early pegs and this did reflect in the results (other than Carp bagger Rod Wotton). I had already decided to have an out and out attack for the Ronnie’s as there are some good quality fish in this venue – that is if you can catch them!! I set up a paste rig for the LH margin (30 inches deep) and the same rig was suitable for fishing at 7 meters (after this the Lake starts to get shallower and it was the approximate distance I intended to fish for the Ronnie’s). I set up two Ronnie rigs – one was a 3 metre whip with waggler and the other a 4x8 Drennan Chop – wire stem (remember them – why do the stop making the popular floats – anyone?). I started on the whip with single red maggot fished over loose fed mix coloured maggots and caught Ronnie’s to 6oz straight off. I the meantime I kept a few 4 mm hard pellet going in to the RH margin keeping an eye open for any signs of fish. However, the Ronnie's became very hard to come by and this time I can’t blame the Carp for disrupting the Silvers. It was, catch a couple and then wait before another couple ended in the net. It appeared that the fish were being frightened away. I persevered with this for four hours using both rigs with neither being more productive than the other. Interestingly enough I didn’t have one Carp during this time. I had a little walk and as expected Carp was coming out from the early pegs, but hardly any Silvers were showing – so it wasn’t just me then. I went back and had a few more Ronnie’s then switched to the RH margin with paste even though there wasn’t any sign of Carp. It wasn’t producing so switched to maggot; feeding half a pint of dead maggot in a few big hand full’s. Using my Chop Ronnie rig with double Maggot I did managed to snare six decent Carp and a couple more Ronnie’s. My Carp weighed in at 22lb 4oz and the Silvers 8lb for a total of 30lb 4oz. This put me first in the Silvers (so mission accomplished) and seventh in the match.


The match was won by Mark Bird (pictured right with the bulk of his catch) from peg 5 with 71lb 6oz. Mark fished the straight lead with Conker hook bait (pellet with hard paste wrapped around it). Mark loose fed about a pint of 8 mm pellet throughout the match.


Bela DNW'd through not weighing his seven Carp one was a beautiful 8lb Common, I know this because he brought it down to my peg in his landing net! Wrong end of the match Matey.

Full Result:

1. Mark Bird 71-06-0 peg 5
2. Rod Wotton 66-07-0 peg 6 (Silvers did it)
3. Scott Lovell 66-04-0 peg 2
4. Shane Caswell 63-11-0 peg 4
5. Rich Heathen 44-02-0 peg 3
6. Colin Golding 43-0-0 peg 1

Top Silvers:
1. Mike Nicholls 8-0-0 peg 7
2. Rod Wotton 1-10-0 peg 6
3. Shane Caswell 0-0-3 peg 4 (qualifies for the Carps Final!)

No comments: