Sunday 4 July 2010

Sunday 04/07/2010 - Carps AC - Summer League - Viaduct Fishery

So fish are sneaky and I thought it was just us anglers. I think the following article (copy/paste in to your browser) is a load of twaddle – more fodder for the Anti’s me thinks!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1291443/Revealed-Fish-DO-good-memory-quite-sneaky.html

I was guesting again in the last match of the Carps AC Summer Series. Judging by the post match comments the league has been a real success. I think this was largely down to the venue as much as anything else. I do wish I lived closer to it.

I was hoping for one of the four corners of either lake, but out came peg 126 on Campbell. This peg has plenty of form for Carp and Silvers so was happy with the draw. That said it really doesn’t matter where you draw on this venue as you are always going to get a day’s fishing.

Today's travelling partner Glenn Bailey was in the lead overall with Dick Bull and Dan Squire’s one point behind. Glenn drew peg 130 next to Dick Bull on peg 129, so this contest was in Glenn’s hands. However, Dan Squires arrived on corner peg 119 and with the wind blowing in there Dan was sure of a section win and a likely match win.

I set up four pole rigs two for banded hard pellet and two for my “Home Made Irregular Shaped Soft Pellets (HMISSP’s)”. One set to be fished at 8.5 metres and 10 metres. The other set for the LH margin. I started by feeding heavily in the margin with 6mm hard pellet, which I only fished once, only to find the Ronaldo’s waiting for the hook bait. I fed the 10 metre line with a small pot of micros and 4mm pellet. First put in on the HMISSP’s I had a 3lb Carp followed by two lost foul hookers. The wind started to pick up so I fed the 8.5 metre line identically. The issue I had was unless the hook bait was presented at dead depth you caught nowt. So with the gusting wind this became impossible on the long line so having re-fed it I came shorter and had a run of Tench and Skimmers interrupted by the occasional Carp. As soon as the wind allowed I would switch to the longer line, catching similarly but quicker. Once the wind picked up again I would change back to the shorter line. I kept this going until the last hour when the wind totally subsided and I caught really well to the end of the match. My Carp weighed in at 67lb 13oz and my Silvers 51lb 05oz for a total of 119lb 2oz. This gave me a section win, Silvers overall win and 6th overall, so I had of financial options covered. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the day. I did try the 6mm hard banded pellet on both lines and found that although I had plenty of bites the Skimmers were very small. Throughout I fed one pint between the out lines and one pint in the margins (what a waste).

As predicted Dan Squires (pictured upper right with some of his catch) won the match with 282lb 1oz (the third highest match weight I think) from peg 119. Dan caught most of his fish at 16 metres fished to the end bank margin fishing 12 inches deep. Dan used 8mm banded pellet over loose fed 6mm pellet, feeding nine pints of pellets.

Glenn managed to beat Dick Bull but just fell short on winning his section Managing second, being beaten by Leyton Palmer. With Dan winning his section, it was weight count back for the title which went to Dan (pictured right with the overall league Silvers winner Nigel Bartlett) helped by his massive weight on the day.

Full Result:

1. Dan (Dude) Squires 282-01-0 peg 119
2. Phil Cardwell 142-08-0 peg 112
3. Paul Hearn 138-14-0 peg 118
4. Leyton Palmer 126-03-0 peg 132
5. Alan Oram 123-02-0 peg 110
6. Mike Nicholls 119-02-0 peg 126

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 51-05-0 peg 126
2. Nigel Bartlett 40-0-0 peg 128
3. Tom Thick 38-15-0 peg 124

Overall League:

1. Dan Squires 6 points 625-15-0
2. Glenn Bailey 6 points 511-02-0
3. Dick Bull 8 points 482-01-0

Overall League Silvers:

1. Nigel Bartlett 6 points 139-12-0
2. Colin Dyer 6 points 128-06
3. Dave Tippett 7 points 100-13-0

No comments: