Saturday 10 July 2010

Saturday 10/07/2010 - Maver Pairs - Stafford Moor

Bela Bakos had booked in to the Maver Pairs at Stafford Moor with Pete Notton only to be informed Wifey 1 that he was booked to go to Spain. So Bela passed the ticket to me and I asked Glenn Bailey to team up with me as he was keen to fish the venue for his first time, plus he’s been catching a few Carp of late.

You can always rely on Glenn to be spot on time as he was today with a 05:30 pickup, arriving at Stafford at 08:00 after a short break for coffee and some sort on breakfast pastry. We had the usual friendly greeting from Andy, who is always happy to help with advice.

The team plan was that I would fish Pines or Josephs and Glenn, Tanners or Woodpecker. Like most well laid plans I ended up on Woodpecker 20 and Glenn Pines 4! The draw rules were changed by Andy, however, having partially set up our gear in these pegs Andy did agree to us swapping, however, it didn’t seem worth while. In any case, I don’t think the result would have been any different.

I set up a waggler at depth and the straight lead. On the pole I set up two paste rigs one for 8 metres (deepest part of the swim) and another paste rig in the LH margin, as it happens for the Ronnie’s!! I fed the 8 metre line with two pots of 4mm’s. The peg was about 50 metre wide to the opposite island and with a nasty skimming wind I started at three quarters on the waggler with a very large banded 8mm pellet loose feeding the same over the top. Nothing, so I swapped floats to a shallow pellet waggler as I could see a few swirls from Carp. However, no one I could see was catching so I went on to the 8 metre line and started to catch Skimmers and Crucians steadily, until Dave (don’t know his surname) on next peg 19 caught a small Carp on the pellet waggler, so started the mistake of the day. I was teased for the next three hours by Carp, with the windy conditions not helping me at all. I did manage three Carp in the mouth and had four foul hookers on the retrieve. I had half hour on the straight lead with three small Skimmers to show for it. From what I could see no one was catching on it. In the last 10 to 15 minutes of the five hour match I switched back to the pole at 8 metres and had a Crucian, a Skimmer and a 5lb Carp. I weighed 34lb 10oz (approximately 50/50 Silvers/Carp)for fourth in the section with three DNW’s!! I was left feeling that if I had stayed with the pole through out the match I would have doubled my weight – who knows - Andy apparently who suggested this as an alternative to the straight lead.

Glenn weighed 54lb 9oz of small Carp, Crucians, Tench and Skimmers on Hard pellet fished at 16 metres to the island for 3 points. No where close for the team event with 7 points.

The match was won by Des Shipp (pictured right) from Tanners peg 30 with 165lb 6oz. Des only set up the pole (I wish I had done this – I shouldn’t be allowed out with rod and line) fishing shallow with 3 foot of line above the float splashing 6mm banded pellet around at various lengths (14 to 16 metres). Des fed 6mm and 8 mm hard pellet.

I have been writing my peg number on the back of my hand for some years now as there is nothing worse than setting up in the wrong peg only to be moved on. Oh yes there one worse - winning the match from the wrong peg!! I think Des might take a leaf out of my book on this one - we ain't getting any younger matey!!

The pairs was won by Jamie Smith and Tony Gilbert (pictured right) with a penalty points tally of 3.

Full Result:

1. Des Shipp 165-06-0 peg Tanners 30
2. Tony Gilbert 121-05-0 peg Pines 13
3. Ken Foxwell 94-05-0 peg Tanners 8
4. Craig Grant 86-04-0 peg Joseph 6 (included a 20lb Carp)
5. Mark Lynch 78-12-0 peg 17 Woodpecker 17
6. Save Stockton 7804-0 peg Woodpecker 32

Top Pair: (3 points)

Jamie Smith 65-04-0 peg Woodpecker 6 (2 point)
Tony Gilbert 121-05-0 peg Pines 13 (1 point)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Pete Wotton?? lol

I've been called some names this year. Paul, Norton, Wootton & Wotten.

Seeing as my real surname is a Palindrome I thought it would be easier to remember. Great Blog though Mike.

Pete NOTTON ;-)

Silverfox Match Angling said...

For the rest of us a palindrome is a word, phrase, number or other sequence of units that can be read the same way in either direction e.g. NOTTON

Sorry PETEP I have corrected the spelling. Thanks for your comments.

Unknown said...

Cheers Mike.

I know its wasn't your mistake, Me and Bela had a chuckle at Viaduct about it. Maver still managed a new name even though Bela sent the forms off correct.. or so he says!