Wednesday 16 June 2010

Tuesday 15/06/2010 - Mawgan Porth Open

Glenn joined us today and started moaning straight away about his match on Lodge Lake at Viaduct. Weighing in two late Carp for 13lb!

Our first visit this year to Mawgan Porth, and what a lovely setting it is too. I took the opportunity to purchase a pair of Biker Sun glasses from Geoff, Janet’s Partner. They grip the back of your head so don’t fall off and are very strong - they better be.

Having had the usual riot act read to us by Janet, into the draw bag and peg 43 stuck to my hand, which meant my first trip over the bridge to the island and not a bad draw for once!! Island pegs 42 and 46 have better form. Opposite me were Glenn and Steve (both pictured right - setting up). I had decided to fish paste as I framed in the two matches I fish here last year with it. I set up two rigs both identical 0.2 gram Corn and Paste – just in case. One rig was set up on a special adapted number two and the other on a normal top set with 22 hollow elastic. On my bait table was 1 pint of 4mm wetted pellet and 2 pints of paste – simple. I started out in front on the long top set over loose fed pellet and had a small Carp straight away – then I was pestered by small Skimmers to 3oz. Even though Janet has removed 10,000 there are still millions left. In to the LH margin with the short top set and another Carp then again pestered by Skimmers. I am now thinking it was going to be one of those days. I also thanked my luck that I hadn’t fed anything in the LH margin. I decided to leave it that way and found I had made the right decision as I didn’t look back, having a good 2 hours bagging Carp to 2lb. I did keep feeding the LH margin in the hope that I would keep the Skimmers here. However, I did have the occasional dob-in only to confirm that it was still full if !Blades”. I find it difficult not to feed a swim and I kept thinking what if I fed the RH margin would my catch rate increase. Anyway come an hour to go I couldn’t help myself and started feeding. The Skimmers soon homed in, leaving me struggling for the last hour. I envisaged 20 or more Skimmers attacking the paste hiding the bait form the Carp. I soon stopped feeding and did manage a few more before the all out. I was last to weigh and needed to beat 87lb I thought I would fall short. My first net weighed exactly 40lb and knowing that the other net had the bigger fish that I would win - totalling 95lb 7oz.

Runner up was Colin Dumphy (pictured right with the winner and Lake Owner Janet) from St Helens. Colin initially drew peg 38 and put his foot through the platform wooden boards, not quite falling in. Some other of the platforms are also in need of repair. Janet moved him to peg 40.

Full Result:

1. Mike Nicholls 95-07-0 peg 43
2. Colin Dumphy 87-09-0 peg 40
3. Dave (Default Dave) Chinn 70-08-0 peg 36
4. Glenn Bailey 58-04-0 peg 36
5. Mark Tanner 56-09-0 peg 41
6. Steve Nicholls 56-0-0 peg 37

No comments: