Thursday 10 June 2010

Thursday 10/06/2010 - Bathampton Over 55's - Main Lake

I was in two minds whether to go today as I am off to Whiteacres next week and I needed to prepare. As I am always prepared I decided to go. As it happened it was a good turn out especially considering the match today was on the Main Lake with 20 fishing. You really need to draw the top quarter of the Lake to catch the Bream, which are required to frame. I drew peg 6 which can be OK for Ronnie’s but I didn’t expect to catch any Bream, perhaps a few small skimmers though.

Well what a luxurious peg, you could pitch a tent on it! I set up the usual for the Skimmers and Ronnie’s. I spent the whole day switching between the two lines catching 1 to 2oz Skimmers and Ronnie’s. The highlight was when I hook and landed a big Eel (circa 2lb), quickly followed by a much larger one that I pulled out of at the net – bugger. These fish are very hard to net. I wish I had some Lob worms. I weighed 10lb 8oz for 9th overall.

We have a general rule that we let the newcomers win their first match so that they come back again. Today was no exception. It was nice to see matey John Smith fishing today and we gave him end peg 15. Even John (pictured upper right with his winning net of Bream to 5lb) can’t mess this peg up and he didn’t winning the match with 32lb 9oz. John caught most of his fish in the first two hours fishing soft pellet over pellet feed. John also landed a 9lb Pike also caught on pellet. No wonder you can only catch either 2oz fish or a 3lb fish the Pike have eat all those between! Well done matey see you next time out.


However, this wasn’t my highlight of the day. It was to see that Mike Jones had fallen in. I don’t usually put two pictures of the same angler in one blog, but today was an exception. What a mess!!! It amazed me how his hair didn't get wet, could it be synthetic? Shake dry perhaps!


Full Result: (All Silver fish except Dave Bacon 8lb Carp)

1. John Smith 32-09-0 peg 15
2. Bob Feltham 24-06-0 peg 41
3. Mike Jones 20-10-0 peg 11
4. Bryan Sheppard 16-10-0 peg 30
5. Dave Bacon 14-04-0 peg 8
6. Colin Golding 12-07-0 peg 40

2 comments:

Mike Jones said...

Good this synthetic hair eh?
Shame they dont make grey!

tony rixon,s days out said...

i heard he had to dive in to recover his bottle of hair dye