Sunday 27 June 2010

Sunday 27/06/2010 - Carps AC - Summer League - Viaduct Fishery

I have said this before. The future of Angling is dependant on us bringing the youth of today into the sport. Bathampton AA does their fair share, organising all sorts of events on their waters. They even provide tackle for Children whose parents aren’t financial able to afford it. That was until last weekend when some low life broke in to one of their lock-ups at Huntstrete and stole the lot. So if anyone reading this gets offered any tackle such as Shimano Rods and Reels (a full list of items is available at your local tackle shop) contact the Police on 08454567000 referencing crime report 73845/10 or if you prefer anonymity call 0800555111. There is a £1,000 REWARD for catching these cretins.

I noticed that Viaduct Fishery are running a Pro/New starter event soon - good to see they also know where the furure lay.

Guesting again in the Carps AC Summer League as there were a few that stayed away to watch England get beat by Germany 4 -1 in the World Cup. Those that fished were glad that they did after this result. I think everyone had a radio to listen to it, but we needn’t have bothered as Bela brought his enormous “Wog Box” (pictured right tuning in). This was a bit disappointing but England won the two most important matches this weekend. We have now won the Cricket one day series against the Aussies AND won the World Angling Championship in Spain. No individual Gold, that went to one of the Welsh team. Well done lads.

With Carey and Lodge in the draw bag I was hoping for a peg on Lodge as there are some big Skimmers in this Lake. In to the hat and out came peg 66. Not only got my wish for Lodge but one of my favourite pegs to-boot. I set up three rigs – one 0.2 gram paste rig for the LH margin down to the empty pallet. Another paste 0.4 gram rig for out up to the tree line at 10 o clock and a 4x12 Jolly for the soft pellet over the same line. I fed the long line with a 125ml of wetted micro and 4mm. I decided to try the LH margin kinder potting in a small amount of 4mm in with the paste and I had a Carp first put in followed by a 4lb Tench. As anticipated the Ronnie’s moved in, so I decide to but two big pots of 4mm into this swim and allow it to cook for an hour whilst I went out on the long line (11.5metres) with paste and had a 2lb frisky Carp first put in followed by a couple of small Skimmers. This line was slow so tried the 4 mm expander which was soon snaffled by a 1oz Ronnie. With 2 hours now gone I decide to open up another line directly out in front by potting in half and half micro and 4mm pellet. I marked the rig line against the float with waterproof black marker and increase the depth by four inches to be just touching bottom. First put in another Carp (is there a pattern forming) followed by a Bream and another Tench. There was a lot of fizzing, which I read as Carp feeding above the Skimmers. So I made up an “up in the water paste rig” with a long line and after re-feeding went out on it. I then had five Carp in seven put in’s. I must say I didn't enjoy this much as you don't really get a proper bite. When the fizzing subsided I went down on the bottom with paste and had another two Carp. I then repeated the exercise adding another two Carp. With an hour left and England out of the World Cup I went down the edge and had four more Carp before the whistle – losing one foul hooker last but one put in. My accidental Silvers weighed in at 15lb 6oz and my 15 Carp weighed in at 79lb for a total of 94lb 6oz. This gave me a section win and a 2nd Overall.

The match was won by Alan Oram (pictured upper right with three of his better fish) on peg 94 with 99lb 10oz. Alan fished the “Conker” (11mm pellet rapped in paste) on the straight lead over to the end bank weed bed. Through out the match Alan loose fed two pints of 10 mm hard pellet.

The Silvers was won by Colin Dyer (pictured right sat by his infamous “Plastic Pig") with 31lb 9oz of quality Skimmers. Colin fished at 10 metres fishing hard pellet over micro. I must also mention that Colin won the Silvers yesterday on peg 81 with 80lb of quality Bream, well done matey. Charlie Barn’s drew it today and didn’t do quite as well!!

Full Result:

1. Alan Oram 99-10-0 peg 94
2. Mike Nicholls 94-06-0 peg 66
3. Anthony Page 82-04-0 peg 88
4. Gordon Cannings 71-11-0 peg 90
5. Dan Squires 69-06-0 peg 60
6. Glen Bailey 65-03-0 peg 97 (three times now)

Top Silvers:

1. Colin Dyer 31-09-0 peg 96
2. Steve Long 25-14-0 peg 103
3. Stu Foale 23-06-0 peg 62

No comments: