Wednesday 5 May 2010

Wednesday 05/05/2010 - Carps AC - Tanhouse Farm

It was interesting to see that the Lake owners have installed four rotating flashing buoys (see pictures right) equally spaced along the length of the fishery. I assumed they are to scare predatory birds. On one side of the bouy there are mirrored vanes and on the other side a face – I must admit it scared me as it looked very much like my first girl friend! I was left wondering if we will be seeing more of these as I only see one Coot chick and its Mother all day.

Colin asked me to peg out the match – well - put the pegs where he told me to. Colin still can’t let go. I wasn’t sure about peg 1 as the wind was blowing in the opposite direction towards the other end. I pulled out peg 1 (see I don’t always draw well). I really like fishing this venue as it is primarily a Silvers venue, plus the peace, quiet and tidiness. However, it is a disused quarry and therefore has a stone infrastructure, hence the deep water is clear at the best of times and the water temperature kept down. Because of the change in weather conditions I wasn’t expecting it to fish very well. I was right, for my end of the Lake at least. My prime target would be Ronnie’s and Skimmers, so I set up a 4x16 jolly set just tipping the bottom in 10 foot of water. I intended to fish 3mm soft pellet over micro pellet on this line. I also set up a 4.5 metre whip waggler to be fished at various up in the water depths with caster. On the whistle in went a 125 ml of wetted micro at 7 metres, starting on the whip with caster hook bait. I tried numerous depths to no avail. It wasn’t long after suspending the whip that I had also suspended fishing the pellet at 7 metres. I switched to maggot over this line kinder potting in some maggot and caster. From the whistle it took half an hour to catch my first fish – a Perch – not a good sign. I then had a run of Ronnie’s to 4oz but every time I fed I had to wait 20 minutes for the fish to follow the bait to the bottom. Chris Davis came down and said he hadn’t had a bite nor had Colin Golding. I subsequently resulted to fishing on the drop, adding a few more Ronnie’s to the net, but it was really slow. The last two hours were really painful adding only to more Perch. I weighed 4lb 13oz for 4th in the match and a pick up of £10.


The match was won by Steve Dawson (pictured right with runner up Andy Gard) from peg 8 with a credible 25lb 12oz of Skimmers to 2lb. Steve caught all his fish on 6mm expander over loose fed 6 mm pellet. Steve fed approximately 5 pellets after every fish.

Full Result:

1. Steve Dawson 25-12-0 peg 8
2. Andy Gard 11-09-0 peg 9
3. Mike Snudden 8-08-0 peg 6
4. Mike Nicholls 4-13-0 peg 1
5. John Bennett 4-06-0 peg 5
6. Bill Ferris 3-05-0 peg 2

NO CARP CAUGHT – TWO LOST!

No comments: