Thursday 20 May 2010

Thursday 20/05/2010 - Bathampton Over 55's - Withy Pool

This was my first time through the new electronic gates at Huntstrete. Enter the code and you’re in. However, how do you get out? For unknown reasons Kevin Collins car couldn’t activate the gate so Martin Alexander climbed the gate to enter the code, umm!

I drew peg 48 today, which isn't one of my favourite pegs. I set up two paste rigs one for the LH margin and the other out at 11.5 metres. I set up a 4x16 Jolly for soft pellet, also for 11.5 metres. I also set up the usual Ronnie rigs for use with the caster. Before the off I had a welcome visitor, my old travelling partner Andy Floyd (pictured right sitting in his Carpy chair thingy - if you haven't guessed by his attire he's a Arsehole fan) when we fished with Avon Angling – I still have some tales to tell about our travelling exploits.

I started with the mandatory pot of wetted micro (I have a feeling that the fish on a lot of venues are not responding as they have done). I started on the caster and after 15 minutes I had one missed bite and one poorly looking Ronnie in the net. So out on the paste at 11.5 metres and second put in I had a positive bite that turn in to a lost foul hooked Carp. Nothing else followed. It was very apparent that the venue wasn’t fishing well at all. I decided to mix up some GB laced with terminally ill maggots. I put four in at 10 o clock and went straight in and had a few tiny Ronnie’s and even smaller Skimmers. I did foul hook two more Carp over the GB line – one on paste and the other on maggot. After trying all sorts to catch a fish, it wasn’t until half hour to go that I hooked a Carp in the mouth on double red maggot, followed by another Carp on paste. My poultry Silvers weighed in at 14oz and my Carp 15lb 8oz for a grand total of 16lb 6oz and sixth overall. A lot of good anglers struggled today and I am not sure whether it was the fish have been confused by the extraordinary weather, personally I blame the new gates.

The match was won by Alan Jones (pictured right with half his catch of Carp) with nine Carp for 69lb 12oz from in form peg 50. Alan caught half his fish to the opposite island and the other half in to his LH margin. Alan caught on pineapple 4mm soft pellet.

The Silvers was won by Mike Jones from peg 70 with 12-04-0 of small Ronnie’s, Perch and Skimmers. Mike caught on maggot over GB and loose fed maggot over the top using a “long whip with a top and bottom float” (Mike ask me to say this) and a waggler float in to his margins. Sorry Mike a float that is attached bottom only is still a waggler, no matter how small the float is.

Full Result:

1. Alan Jones 69-12-0 peg 50
2. Bob Warren 44-01-0 peg 53
3. Pete Phillips 42-08-0m peg 55
4. Pete Bryer 23-14-0 peg 49
5. Tom Coulson 17-05-0 peg 67
6. Mike Nicholls 16-06-0 peg 48

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Jones 12-04-0 peg 70
2. Bill Ferris 8-12-0 peg 62
3. Pete Bryer 8-03-0 peg 49

9 comments:

Mike Jones said...

Is a 2 inch length of loaded peacock fished on a 3,5m whip a waggler? NO. A waggler is a long float developed for fishing at distance, it was developed by Dave Thomas of Leeds to fish at distance on the Trent. It was so good that in a very short time everybody was using it.

Silverfox Match Angling said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Silverfox Match Angling said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Silverfox Match Angling said...

Mike

My Dad, Ivor taught me to fish the "Nottingham" style on the Bristol Avon using a Porcupine quill. Which was subsequently termed the waggler because it "WAGGLED" due to it being attached bottom only.

So there is no getting away from it - "it's a waggler" - and a very good method at that, used by me most mathches for Silvers. Come and have a look at mine next time we are on the bank.

Does anyone else have a view.

Mike Jones said...

I always thought the porquepine quill should fished top & bottom as the predessor to the stick float

Mike Jones said...

How does Alan Jones manage to catch half a carp from each of his swims? (nine fish, half from each!!)

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Alan caught one down the middle!!

Mike Jones said...

It is my understanding that fishing Nottingham style was origonally done with a crow or porcqupine quill fished top and bottom.
Fishing bottom only(sunken line method) was Sheffield style, used on the Fenland rivers.
When the waggler was developed on the Trent, the Trent purists didnt like it, but very quickly took to it when they realised how good it was!

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Dad always refered to it as the Nottingham style. I am not aware of it's origin. We used Porcupine quills because I think that it was as closest as we had to a straight float. Your are right Dad and I orininally fished them like stick floats - Dad was particularly good at catching Dace on them. He was soon making proper wagglers from Peacock quill. I always remember Mum having words with him because he use to seal the the dome tops with hot wax which spilt on Mums cooker.