Sunday 30 May 2010

Sunday 30/05/2010 - Carps AC - Summer League - Viaduct Fishery

Matey Martyn Woodington sent me this short cut. It's a must watch video – watch it all. I am convinced that it’s Dean Mallin Skippering the boat and a Spanish speaking Mr Rixon on the bow. What do you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujo99wz9z_c

I was asked to guest (sorry make up the numbers) in the Carps AC Summer League at Viaduct. The talk before the match was how bad it fished the day before in the South West Super league and how light feeding may be the order of the day. Well, all I can say is that they all must have thought they were fishing a "Natural" venue where all the fish have been eaten by Pike. The lowest section winning weight today was 58lb.

My travelling partner (pictured right with Wifey – can anyone name the angler trying to get in on the act) was in attendance today with “Wifey” aka Claire the tea runner.

I would have liked a peg on Lodge for the Silver fishing. However, I pulled peg 103 on Carey. I had it mind to fish for Carp all day on paste; however, I was told that there were a few Silvers down to my left under a Willow tree. So my mind was made up. I set up a modified 4x14 PB14 for under the tree for caster and a 4x14 Jolly for out in front at 11.5 meters for the Skimmers on expander pellet. I also set up a 0.5 gram paste float hopefully for the bigger Skimmers also to be fished at 11.5 metres. On the whistle I fed a small pot of caster with a few micros under the tree. I started on the soft pellet over kinder potted micros. First put in a I foul hooked a Carp as I did second put in (I think this was telling me something but I wasn’t listening). I subsequently I had a run of 2oz Skimmers but was missing loads of bites (due to the small size of the fish). I switched to the maggot and had a few more, but it was much slower than the expander. Back on the expander and more frustration at missed bites, I decided to try under the tree with double caster and had a 2lb Skimmer first put in followed by three decent perch and one lost one (of course it was much bigger than any of the one’s I landed). I thought I was going to carry on catching in this swim so I had a brain wave (not) and decided to put a big pot of wetted micros in at 11.5 metres whilst I bagged the Silvers to my Left. It wasn’t long before the 1oz Ronnie’s arrived, which told me the Perch had been caught. I fished for the Ronnies until the last 30 minutes in anticipation of Tench arriving, at which stage I decide to fish the paste at 11.5 metres as I needed some bigger Silvers (gusting wind permitting). First put in I had a 13lb Carp followed by three missed bites, then a foul hooker – you really don’t want to hook these fish in the fins as it's bedlam. After ten minutes struggle pulling the fish back from two pallets to my left and two pallets to by right I finally pulled free. Back out and another missed bite right on the whistle. I weighed 13lb 9oz of Carp (the one) and 11lb 13oz of Silvers for a total of 25lb 6oz. This put me second in the section for both the Carp and the Silvers – did I pick the wrong species to fish for – who knows, I might have done it right.

The match was won by Phil Cardwell (pictured right with the runner up – Son Matt - a family day to remember) from peg 90 on Carey with 123lb 4oz. Phil caught the majority of his Carp late in to the match on the straight lead fished in to the end margin. Phil used Hair rigged pellet fished over 6mm pellet.

The Silvers was won by Dave Tippett (pictured right) from peg 88 with an impressive 44lb of Tench and Skimmers. Dave caught all his fish on the pole using worm hook bait fished over chopped worm and caster.

Full Result:

1. Phil Cardwell 123-04-0 peg 90
2. Matt Cardwell 121-06-0 peg 57
3. Glenn Bailey peg 97 (third again - taking the super pool)
4. Anton Page 91-03-0 peg 100 (might see a blog update)
5. Bela Bakos 85-11-0 peg 98
6. Tom Thick 86-15-0 peg 66

Top Silvers:

1. Dave Tippett 44-0-0 peg 88
2. Colin Golding 22-04-0 peg 96
3. Tom Thick 22-0-0 peg 66

2 comments:

Tim Ford said...

Feck me Mike, your losing the plot! I can see Glenn on peg 97, can he draw or what on that league! Strange, but when Glenn travels with me he does pants and I do OK! Well done Dave Tippet, nice to see him do well.

davet said...

nice to be appreciated tim.ps.martin rayatt wants to know how much dixie charges for lessons nowadays.