Sunday 16 May 2010

Sunday 16/05/2010 - Kev Perry Series - Bullocks Farm - Round Five

When it comes to international sport there are only four competitions that are important to win for England:

Beat the Germans at Football
Beat the New Zealander's at Rugby
Beat the French at Angling
Beat the Australians at Cricket

Well I have just finished watching England beat the Ozzie's in the 20/20 World Cup final – Brilliant. Bring on the Germans in July!

It was my turn on Rushcombe Lake this week. Most of the anglers fishing this “Lake” were very apprehensive especially after last week’s poor result. I was the only one on the Lake that did the super pool, so I wasn’t convinced it would fish that bad again – as it happened I was right. I drew peg C5. I was a tad disappointed as I was hoping for a draw near the bridge. However, I wasn’t as down in the mouth as Dave Wride who had drawn behind me in D section – moan, moan, moan – can’t have a flyer every week Dave. I took the piss a bit (probably too much) about his pre-match moans. He said he was sure to beat me whatever – not.

My main disappointment was that I didn’t have any margin swim to talk of. I had about half a metre to a tree to my right and that was it. However, I did set up a rig for this margin and had three early Carp there, but that was it. I also set up a “to hand rig”, a paste right for over and two soft pellet rigs for the Goldfish (Silvers), also for over, which was about 12 metres. As far as I am concerned unless you can catch the Goldfish to hand then you are going to find it very difficult to beat the Silvers pegs on Match Lake. So I started on the to hand rig and had one bite after 15 minutes – that line was quickly dumped. As I said I then fished out the RH margin – that didn’t take long. So over it was to be at 12 metres for the “Carrots”. After catching ten or so to 4 oz the swim slowed. I thought perhaps some bigger fished had moved in, so on to the paste, and I was right I had a run of Carp to 3lb. I then decided to open another swim over and thought that the gap caused by the ducks entering and exiting the Lake would be a good choice. I was right as I caught Carp steady to the end on the match (excluding the hour or so when the sun decided to shine bright). I weighed 2.300Kg (5lb 1oz) of Gold’s and 18Kg (39lb 13oz) of Carp for a total of 20.300Kg (44lb 14oz) for 7th overall but only gaining 4 points. As expected the first three pegs in my section all beat me – just. As it happens I think my decision to enter the super pool was exonerated, as I was only one out of picking up!

I was also amazed that the the Duck traffic in and out of my swim had little to no effect on my catch rate.

The match was won by Chris Fox (pictured right with fellow organiser Paul Faiers, who was came third in the Silvers - I must say they do a good job all considered - hang overs etc...) from match Lake peg 8 with 35.150 Kg (77lb 7oz). Chris caught on… see his blog for all the details and more.

Chris also won the Silvers with 10.95Kg (24lb 3oz)… see his blog I think casters played a big part in his catch.

Full Result:

1. Chris Fox 35.150 Kg (77lb 7oz) Peg 8
2. Shaun Kitteridge 25.300 peg C2
3. Dave Roper 24.300 Kg peg 22
4. Mark Walsh 23.850 Kg peg 18
5. Nick Harvey 22.700 Kg peg C3
6. Mark Bromsgrove 21.800 Kg peg C1
7. Mike Nicholls 20.300 Kg peg C5

Top Silvers:

1. Chris Fox 10.950 Kg (24lb 3oz) Peg 8
2. Andy Hembrow 10.500 Kg Peg 21
3. Paul Faiers 9.150 Kg peg 10

No comments: