Tuesday 13 April 2010

Wednesday 14/04/2010 - Carps AC - Tockenham Reservior

Headache? Sore back? What you need is a wad of cash. Research suggests handling money can be an effective way of relieving pain, or even preventing it in the first place. Researchers found people who counted money before taking part in an experiment where they were subjected to low levels of pain felt less discomfort than those who did not. It is thought that fondling notes and coins helps ward off pain by boosting feelings of self-worth and self-sufficiency.
Read more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1265286/Why-cold-hard-cash-comfort-relieving-pain.html#ixzz0krxhqKCW
Fondling works for me!!

Congratulations to Ray Hayward (pictured right) for winning the Fish O Mania qualifier at Viaduct Fishery. This is by my reckoning the tenth angler from the South West to qualify for the final – not a bad record especially as they only tend to fish the one qualifier. Speaks loads for the quality of the angling in the South West – best of luck in the final matey, we will all be supporting you.

Bloody freezing cold with an Easterly wind blowing in at me all day, it was the coldest I felt all winter! As Colin was away I was entrusted with the pegging out. I fancied the early numbered pegs because I had to put the last two pegs in the start of the leg. So I was disappointed when I pulled peg 14. Even though it was an end peg I didn’t fancy it for the Bream, perhaps some Ronnie’s again as I drew the peg next door last year and had 22lb of Ronnie’s on the pole with caster. I had previously set up my 11ft Normark no1 Feeder rod (the blanks being whipped up by a young Tony Rixon in 1983 his first year in Avon Angling) with 3lb Preston direct mono (a great line for Skimmer fishing once you get use to the directness). On setting up I cast out a bomb to set the line clip and spot on my target distance I had a clip-up, well so I thought. On inspection I was down to the spool knot!! So my preparation was in vain and had to get out a new spool and re-set up. I also set up a Ronnie rig – a 1 gram Jolly (the wind was really gusting so I needed a heavier than normal float). For some strange reason I also set up a paste rig. Both rigs to be fished out in front at 9 metres. I fed a 125ml of wetted micro and 4mm on this line before setting about the feeder. I had added a mixture of caster and wetted micro in my GB (some green stuff I scrounged from Nick Collins on Sunday). I also had a bag of Sensas River to add to the mix if I needed to put it in at distance with the GB catty (I have always found it enjoyable using this catty). However, as the water was so clear I decided to take it steady and put the GB in by the cage feeder only. After about four chucks on the feeder with triple red maggot - not a bite - so on to the 6 mm soft pellet on the pole. Again - nothing. I decided to put a pot of casters over this line for the Ronnie’s. I think this was a mistake and should have moved further out on a different line because I didn’t have a bite on caster either. However, I think I had now made up my mind to stay with the feeder for the rest of the match. Out again on the feeder and had a couple of small Skimmers. It then went quiet then another couple of 1lb Skimmers. I tried corn and soft pellet; neither was productive so stuck with the triple maggot. And that is how my match went catch a couple straight off then long spells without a bite. What I thought was happening was the Skimmers were coming up in the water to feeding off particles falling from the feeder as it descended. So I increased the tail to 3ft and thought I had sorted it out as I had a Bream on the drop first cast. Alas not, I did have more bites on this but I didn't see the bites. It left wondering whether I should have filled it in at the start on the catty and fish the lead over it - we will never know now! I weighed 17lb 8oz of all Skimmers for sixth overall. I am surprised I have written so much about fishing the feeder – Ian Spriggs would have been proud of me today – my casting was fairly accurate - for a change.

The match was won by Steve Dawson (pictured right with a lovely net of Skimmers) from peg 3. Steve caught at 9 metres on the pole using 6 mm expander over micro pellet. Steve caught steady all day and had some shelter from the bitter East wind.

Full Result (All Silvers):

1. Steve Dawson 41-11-0 peg 3
2. Mark Tanner 24-08-0 peg 10
3. Dave Wride 23-13-0 peg 6
4. Tom Thick 20-08-0 peg 5
5. Charlie Barns 19-05-0 peg 4
6. Mike Nicholls 17-08-0 peg 14

No comments: