Wednesday 28 April 2010

Wednesday 07/04/2010 - Carps AC - Cider Farm - Yarlington Mill

After reading Tony Rixon’s blog from last Sunday’s match at CF it was a bit Déjà vu. I drew peg 40 (Rip off’s peg from Sunday) and Chris Davis was on his same peg 37! Peg 40 has many options (I counted six) for the Carp Slayer. However, knowing that the Silvers wouldn’t have seen a keep net I decided it was out and out Silvers on the maggot. That is unless it got difficult or the Carp came looking for me. I set up an elasticated 3.5 metre whip (just in case a Carp hooked itself). A 4x16 Jolly for over the same line set at full depth for the Skimmers. I also set up my Ronnie rig.

Having set up I went for a walk down to see Mark Tanner who had drawn peg 46. Mark had just got off the phone to Tim Ford for information about the peg and was told to fish long under the Aerator rope. The picture right shows Mark's first attempt at plumbing up!! I suggested to Mark he fish short in to open water – at least he might get to find out how deep his swim is!

I won’t bore you with a fish by fish narrative as I had approaching 300 of the little blighters. I caught Silvers from fry to 2lb – Skimmers, Hybrids, Rudd but mostly Ronnie’s up to 6oz. My match was interrupted eight times by Carp due to over feeding the maggot. These "accidental" Carp weighed in at 17lb 10oz and my Silvers went 26lb 5oz for first in the Silvers and a pick up of £40. My total of 43lb 15oz put me sixth overall. Pictured right is my net of Silvers – very wide ranging size of fish. I think there is a great future for the Silver fishing at this venue, and they don't hide in the reeds. I fed one pint of mixed coloured maggot over the six hours.

First in the match was John Thompson (pictured bottom right with the Silvers winner) with 81lb 7oz of Carp from peg 14. John caught at 11 o clock at 17 metres against the corner of the far island. John fished hard banded pellet over loose fed 4mm pellet.

Chris Davis was runner up with 75lb 4oz and similarly I could hear Chris Davis all day splashing his carp across the surface interrupted by the occasional THWACK.

Full Result:

1. John Thompson 81-07-0 peg 14
2. Chris Davis 75-04-0 peg 37
3. Martin Rayet 74-11-0 peg 17 (couldn’t get 10 more oz then)
4. Dave Wride 67-0-0 peg 11
5. John Paige 51-12-0 peg 4
6. Mike Nicholls 43-15-0 peg 40

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 26-05-0 peg 40
2. Dave Wride 15-14-0 peg 11

2 comments:

tony rixon,s days out said...

your right there are far to many options on most of the pegs silvers is far less confusing

Tim Ford said...

Mike,

I'm sure I told Mr Spanner, sorry, Mr Tanner to fish UNDER the rope, not OVER it!