Saturday 24 April 2010

Sunday 24/04/2010 - Kev Perry Series - Bullocks Farm - Round Three

As explained in my previous blog I broke my 7th section on my Colmic 707 at the Plantation Fishery during a Carps AC Wednesday match. So first thing Thursday morning I was down to see Mr Rixon at Avon Angling. Tony got on the phone straight away to Nick the Colmic UK Representative. As the pole was less than two years old they agreed a free replacement was in order. However, a replacement would need to come from Italy and would take two weeks. Because the broken section would not pull through it meant I would have to use my old Preston (that swear word again) 8151. Not so, Nick knowing the urgency kindly agreed to drop off a loan section from a Colmic 307. This he did Friday – even better he has loaned me a complete 13 metre 307 – all the sections interchange with mine, albeit the pole being heavier, it will certainly suffice for a couple of weeks. – That’s what you call service, thank you Tony and Nick. If you are looking for a new pole I am sure you won’t go wrong with Colmic irrespective of your budget and fishing preference, there will be a pole that will suit. The Avon Angling shop run by the man pictured right (making tea, he's not bad at that either), might appear to be a tad untidy (expect some comments on this statement), but it’s the best match fishing shop in the South West whether it be tackle or advice your after – “if you can’t get it here you don’t need it”!!

When I was very small my Dad had two fish ponds in his garden. On the very rare occasion Dad would allow me to fish these ponds. He would give me a short piece of bamboo, a short length of line, a gold Mustad crystal bend hook with the barb crushed down and a "live" red topped match stick with two rubbers attached. I would fish for the Gold fish with either pieces of worm or maggots if Dad had any. I thought of this and Dad for throughout most of this match.

It was decided by Paul and Chris to drop North pool for the next two matches and use Rushcombe instead. It was a free draw for the four sections of seven – two on Match Lake and two on Rushcombe. If Match Lake is the best Crucian fishery in the South West Rushcombe is without doubt the best Goldfish fishery!! Dave Wride, Mark Bromsgrove and I had a walk around Rushcombe before the draw all agreeing that pegs C1 and D7 would be a good draw. Whilst standing on these pegs Mark got out one of his lucky coin and gave it a rub, he kindly let me have a rub too (not that I am superstitious). We agreed we wouldn't let Dave have a rub. I drew peg D3 on Rushcombe Lake, Mark C3 and Dave Wride C1! I assembled three rigs; 1 – 4x14 pb14 for fishing to hand for the GF’s on 3mm soft pellet; 1 – TBF that takes 4xno12’s shot far bank for again for the GB’s and anything else that swims, again with 3mm pellet; plus the usual paste pellet rig for the LH margin. The RH margin was a no-no due to the small trees growing out on the bank (get ‘em out Phil). I started on the “to hand” rig and caught straight off small Carp to 1lb 8oz over hand fed wetted micro. I bumped three in a row and then had a few GF’s before it went dead. Umm. Over to the far bank, where I stayed for most of the match catch GB’s and BG’s (Brown Goldfish) with the occasional small Carp. I did keep trying the LH margin with paste without much joy, that was until the last 30 minutes when I had a run of 2lb Carp, but it slowed towards the end because the sun decided to make an appearance. My GB’s and BG’s weighed in at 4.1 Kg (9lb ½ oz) ad the Carp 8.2 Kg (18lb 1oz) for a total of 27lb 1 ½ oz. This put me fourth in the section (4 points). The pegs to draw in both sections are the two each side of the foot bridge leading over to the island where both sections were pegged, these pegs were first and second in each section. On the whole Rushcombe fished reasonably well with around 10 Kg's being the average.

The match was won by Glen Calvert (pictured right with the worthy Silvers winner) for the second time running with 31.95 Kg (70lb 7oz) from Match peg 22. Glen caught the majority of his fish from the LH margin on paste. Glen fed approximately 1 pint of wetted micro.

The Silvers (sorry Gold’s) was won by Dave Wride from end peg C1 on Rushcombe with 27lb 3oz. Like most of us Dave was forced to fish long/over for his fish and caught GB’s and BG’s steady all day using soft pellet hookers over kinder potted micro pellet. I must say putting a draw to the side this was an excellent catch considering the size of his fish - averaging 4oz. Well done matey.

Full Result:

1. Glen Calvert 31-95 Kg peg Match 22
2. Lewis Jones 27.5 Kg peg Match 10
3. Clive Petitt 25.1 Kg peg Match 26
4. Dave Roper 19.61 Kg peg Match 8
5. Shaun Ketteridge 18.07 Kg peh Rush D6
6. Dave Wride 17.98 Kg peg Rush C1

Top Silvers:

1. Dave Wride 12.32 Kg peg Rush C1
2. Lewis Jones 11 Kg Peg Match 10
3. Dave Roper 10.95 Kg peg match 8

No comments: