Sunday 21 March 2010

Sunday 17/03/2010 - Sensas Veals - Chilton Trinity - Woodlands

Although I have fished Wildmarsh a couple of times, it’s the first time I have seen Woodlands. I was informed that the venue held a good head of Silvers – Skimmers, Bream and Roach. Fish 13 metres with either red maggot or soft pellet over wetted micro. In addition there was plenty of small Carp (3 to 5lb) which could be caught long or in the margins. There was also plenty of water with 9 foot being average throughout.

We all met up at Hill Top CafĂ© at 07:30. I was good to see that the owner has gone back to have the brown sauce in bottles rather that the inaccessible and environmentally unfriendly plastic sachets. I must say organiser Tony May helped by Incognito run a good match. Apparently there was a high mound behind the near bank pegs, however, the owner decided to flatten it with the spoils going in to the lake. The spoils were used to make Groyns that protrude out each side of the pegs. I think this is a good move as I am sure once it settles the fish; particularly the Carp will come to this feature to feed. In to the draw bag and out comes peg 25, which is one of the near side pegs hence is still a bit barren (see picture right). Apparently the end and corner pegs are best for Carp. So being just off the middle I thought this might be good for a few Silvers. When I arrived at my peg I found that I had Paul Faiers for company as he was fishing a match on the lake behind. We mutually agreed that our poles should not extend beyond the waters edge. So I decided to fish 11.5 Metres maximum rather than unship. For this line at 12-o-clock I set up a 4x16 Jolly. I also set up a short Ronnie rig for the caster. On the Whistle I fed a half pot of micro at 11.5 metres and started on the Ronnie rig and caster. After 10 minutes all I had was one Motherless. So out on double red maggot at 11.5 metres and …. nothing. On went a soft pellet and I had a 3oz Skimmer…then nothing. On the hour mark I could see most of the anglers struggling on the long pole a depth. So I set up the GB feeder with double red maggot and had one 8 oz Skimmer…then nothing. Shaun Townsend had changed to his RH margin and was getting a few carp on corn. So I set up a 4x12 Jolly set at 2 foot for the RH margin. After feeding some micro and corn through the kinder pot I had a 5lb Carp. I then lost a foul hooker. Then hooked and landed another 5lb Carp. I then started to be pestered by small Rudd and Motherless on this line. In the meantime Shaun catch rate had increased and it was clear I wouldn't catch him. As no one appeared to be catching Silvers I decided once again to concentrate on them. It wasn’t until the last twenty minutes that I worked out how to catch the Ronnie’s. No one I could see had caught fish on the bottom. I think this was because the water surface had been warmed up over the past couple of days and the fish were very much up in the water and that is where I started to catch a few Ronnie’s, but all too late for me. By the end of the match everyone that was still fishing was either catching in the margins or shallow up in the water on the long pole. My two Carp weighed in at 10lb 3oz and my Silvers 4lb-13oz for a total of 15lb.

The match was won by Shaun Townsend from peg 23 with 82lb 10oz. Shaun caught all Carp to 5lb in the RH margin using corn hook bait.

Runner up was Brian Shanks (pictured right with some of his catch) from peg 33 with 65lb 7oz. Brian caught Carp up in the water on banded pellet over loose fed pellet.

The Silvers was won by Tony May from peg 7 with a lowly 6lb 5oz. Tony's catch included two "small" Tench and one Skimmer.

I was pegged opposite Brian’s travelling partner Ron Hardiman (see picture right – “where did it all go wrong Ronnie” – me too).

There’s no doubt I will be fishing this venue again (soon I hope), because I am convinced you can do a good weight of Silvers on the right peg and a better day.

Full Result:

1. Shaun Townsend 82-10-0 peg 23
2. Brian Shanks 65-07-0 peg 33
3. Lee Anderson 62-08-0 peg 31
4. Lee Trivet 55-09-0 peg 12
5. Incognito 55-09-0 peg 19
6. Tony May 33-01-0 peg 7

Top Silvers:

1. Tony May 6-05-0 peg 7

2 comments:

tony rixon,s days out said...

i think even the fish have had enough of the weather now cos they are starting to come shallow and eat the slime, good signs.

Anonymous said...

didnt joe mcmahon(junior)do well next to you lol