Sunday 14 February 2010

Sunday 14/02/2010 - Landsend Individual League Round Four

In a previous blog:

(http://silverfoxangling.blogspot.com/2009/05/wednesday-27052009-carps-ac-tan-house.htmlI)

I was anticipating and hoping for some natural justice on behalf of poor Baby Peter – it looks as if we got a bit of it yesterday

“Steven Barker, the stepfather of abused infant Baby P has been scalded in an attack by a fellow prisoner. Another inmate at Wakefield prison, where Barker is serving his 12-year jail term, hurled boiling water at Barker, leaving him, screaming in pain. Some reports claimed it had been a concoction of water and sugar, which sticks to the skin and intensifies burns in the same way as napalm bombs. Barker who stands 6ft 4in, suffered excruciating burns to his face and arms and will be left scarred for life following the attack. Fellow inmates applauded as he was ambushed. One told the paper: 'To say Barker is disliked is an understatement - he is reviled. The other inmates all hate him with a passion’. When Barker came here every one knew what he had done to Baby P. Your card is marked if you have a crime against your name concerning kids. 'After the attack everyone was in good spirits, knowing someone had hurt Barker. The guy who did it will be getting applauded every-where he goes now. 'It will be seen as a badge of honor and it is just a matter of time before someone else takes a shot at Barker too’.

Excellent stuff – More please lads!!

It was my turn on John Walters Lake. I have always done well on this lake, but I have never drawn the near end where all the flyers are. That is until today when I drew peg 68 – an out an out flyer for both Carp and Silvers. So I was spoilt for choice – not – Silvers it was then. However, I had heard that there was a match fished on it the day before and it needed only 5lb to win the Silvers, and taking only four Carp to win the match from peg 42. The water was so clear, that it was no surprise that the fishing was poor. So it was going to be steady as she goes with the feed. However, I did notice some fish movement in the large weed bed to my left. I decided on three rigs – 1x 0.3g Sensas Jean François Eric and 2 - 4x14 Jolly’s – one black tip the other yellow. On the “all in” I feed some micro and maggot at 11.5 metres at 11-0-clock, which was in the most open water the peg could provide, neat wetted micro directly opposite down the shelf and some casters on the edge of the weed bed at 7 metres. I started with the 0.3 g float with a single maggot at 11-0-clock and first put in I lost a foul hooked Carp. Next put in I landed a 5lb Common. I followed this up quickly with a 2lb Carp. The swim then settled and I had a couple of Skimmers for about 2lb. The sun then came out and the fishing became very difficult. However, the swim opposite me was in the shade of the island to some extent and I quickly switched to this line with double red maggot and I had two quick Crucians and a decent Perch. So I fed some more micro this time with a bit of maggot (ask Ken Rayner about feeding a bit of maggot). I then had two more decent Carp and I lost one at the net because I had initially bullied it thinking it was a Silver, bollocks!! I had a couple more Perch before I decided to have a tactical walk. Ken Rayner had seven Carp on peg 42 and Adrian Clark had nine on peg 58. So I was lying third on the lake, but winning the Silvers. So change of tactics – out and out Silvers fishing. Down to the edge of the weed bed and first put in a 3oz Ronnie. I then hooked and landed a 6lb Common Carp followed up the following cast with a 4lb Common. Both fish were in pristine condition. Not bad for Silver fishing. However, I didn’t have another Carp on this line catching 3 to 4oz Ronnie’s every put in for the last ninety minutes. I was the last one to weigh in and knew I had won the Silvers by a good margin weighing in 15lb 9oz of Silvers with the Carp going 26lb 6oz, giving a total of 41lb 15oz. Little did I know but both Ken and Adrian stopped catching after my tactical walk and I managed to over take Ken and if wasn’t for the “Silver Carp” I would have taken the Lake. However, I was satisfied with the result as my weight gave me second overall. I picked up £50 which was £5 less than that which is published in the rules – I’m am sure this was an oversight by Mike Duckett and will discuss with him next week!

As stated Adrian Clark (pictured right with his catch) won the match from peg 58 with nine Carp for 44lb 4oz. Adrian caught his fish on double red maggot over NO FEED. Umm, can’t do that one!! Adrian chased the carp around his swim until they backed off completely in to the end peg.

Full Result:

1. Adrian Clark 44-04-0 peg 58
2. Mike Nicholls 41-15-0 peg 68
3. Ken Rayner 39-09-0 peg 42
4. Nick Collier 36-12-0 peg 40
5. Dave Sawyer 35-06-0 peg 72
6. Dave Hodgson 34-08-0 peg 94

Top Silvers:

1. Tom Thick 25-08-0 peg 37

2. Nick Collier 19-08-0 peg 40
3. Mike Nicholls 15-09-0 peg 68

6 comments:

Tim Ford said...

Another shit draw then Mike, next time I fish a match with you there you can draw my peg!

Chris Fox said...

"NO FEED. Umm, can’t do that one!! "

Bet you'd like to learn though, how cheap a day out would that be!! :)

tony rixon,s days out said...

the payout was no oversight . there were 4 no shows on the day so all mike felt he could do was to reduce everyones winningsd by 5 quid,you might be bettewr off trying for a fiver off a stayaway
no wonder you took early retirement drawing pegs like that every week lol

Silverfox Match Angling said...

The rules are quite clear - If you don't turn up then you must pay your pools money. This happened to me on the first match and I was asked by Mike for the default pools money, which I beleive two of us paid. So what has changed? It's up to Mike to get the pools money from the "no show" anglers or if he intends to change the rules he should then pay back the pools money to those that have complied with this rule. End of.

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Tim
I did lend out my draw arm to "Shrimp Head" yesterday - at no cost I must add. He wanted peg 34, which I duly drew for him. However, he ballsed it up right up losing 19 foul hooked Carp - landing only 2. Should have taken a leaf out of Adrians book and not fed anything!!

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Chris
Excellent point - got me thinking - would have saved £3 this weekend!!