Monday 22 February 2010

Monday 22/02/2010 - Ian "Bloke" Pulsford

It is with great sadness that I was informed today by his good Wife Marg that Ian "Bloke" Pulsford (pictured right) passed away after a short illness.

Ian would have been 64 at the end of April. He knew he only had months left and hated feeling so ill and was very frightened of what was happening to him so going so quickly was very good as far as he was concerned. The funeral has been pencilled in on March 8 th late morning at Westerleigh Crematorium.

Ian got his nick name from welcoming fellow anglers with "All right Bloke" in a manner that only Ian could convey.

Ian spent the last twenty odd years or so fishing, often every day of the week. So I am sure that he will find if difficult to fish more in heaven that he did on earth - but have no doubts "Bloke" will give it a good go. Hey, make sure you sort us out a few decent swims.

Ian fished Bitterwell lake most weeks at least once. This lake isn't your run of the mill commercial fisheries, as matches are often won with Silvers, which is the main reason Ian fished it so often. These fish are not that easy to catch on this hard fished venue. I often walked Bitterwell and enjoyed watching Ian fish - sometimes he would have the waggler working well on the quality Roach, then on the next visit he would have the pole out catching good Skimmers. Ian in my mind is an extremely competent angler and if he had invested more in his match fishing he would have achieved high accolades. Des Shipp was a close friend of Ian's and I know he would support me in this view. I used to say to "Bloke" that he taught Des all he knows about match fishing. Bloke used to get very embarrassed about this comment - with out full justification in my opinion.

"Bloke" rest in peace mate now that you know the difference between the call of a Cuckoo and the cooing of a Pigeon - Kennet & Avon Canal 1989 when on the next peg you beat me by 3 oz - a memorable day for both of us off two indifferent pegs.

3 comments:

Tim Ford said...

I heard last night Mike. I'll miss bloke he was a character. Many years ago he was SWWL individual champ when all the venues were rivers. He was a very good angler.

theothermarg said...

Funeral is at westerleigh crem at 11 30 am and after at the New Inn. if anyone would like to come to the wake could they let me know as we need to have some idea of the numbers
marg

Rod Wootten said...

A sad loss, I will always remember Ian for his quick wit
on the Drennan and Winter leagues years ago.
My condolences to his wife and family.