Friday 1 January 2010

Review of 2009


The weather again was against us in 2009 with a really wet spring and summer. So much so I was driven to forking out for some decent Gore-tex clothing from Halkon Hunt as the Preston stuff is rubbish. However, the upside to a wet summer is that my garden looked pretty good (see photo right of some of our back garden). I was hoping with the promise of warmer wetter winters due to “Climate Change” that I wouldn’t be breaking ice in 2009, but it wasn’t to be. I don’t mind the exercise that comes with ice breaking, but find it limits fishing options which I find frustrating.

I have many fond memories of 2009, but if I had to select the most memorable match it would be the Maver Pairs fished at Viaduct with matey Bela Bakos. The memories will not be for the second overall placing I had, but for the last twenty minutes of the match when I caught 33lb of Silvers. I will never forget how manic and exciting it was - it got the old ticker back up to speed. I have never experienced Tench and Bream taking corn so furiously. Of course I came away thinking “what if” I had fished for the Silvers earlier and what weight I might have done – we will never know - I might have got it right anyway
.
I reckon I had as many days getting the fishing wrong as I did getting it right. Every match I fish my initial plan is to try and win both the overall and Silvers (coin - insurance policy). I have managed six matches this year where I have achieved this goal. However, there were two memorable matches where I believe I got it right. The first was the Carps AC match at Bullocks Farm where I drew peg 15. I caught 37lb of Crucians which helped me to first in both. Crucian fishing is without doubt the best in the Silvers category as they are dam difficult to catch and fight better than most fish for their size. The other match was another Carps AC match at Cider Farm – Yarlington Mill. This venue at the time was considered an out and out Carp venue. However, Carps AC Wednesday rules mean that they always have pools for the Silvers (one of the reasons I and others support Carps AC). I drew peg 25 and had a brilliant day catching good size Skimmers and Ronnie’s for my highest Silvers weight of 2009 of 44lb 7oz. I weighed in a total of 130lb 9 oz which was only good enough for third. Had I fished for Carp all match I think I would have probably won – but we wouldn't have known what the Silver potential is at this venue. I am now hoping that Mark Gibson will include a Silvers pool in his Sunday Opens in 2010.

I fished the Bathampton “Coffin Dodgers” again this year which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was nice to see Mike Jones out fishing again. I just hope Mike stays on the waggler again next year and don’t start fishing the pole. I have been trying to persuade Topper to start fishing them, lets hope we see him in 2010. I know I have the odd moan about Colin Golding’s organisation and pegging of these matches, but what ever is said Colin is always there to run the matches and is consistent in his organisation – Thanks Col. I had a first time event fishing these matches and it was very heart warming. I was early at the draw as usual and a fellow angler (who asked not to be named) approached me putting a £5 note in my hand. He said that he felt he did not deserve to win the same money as I did at the last match, as he had come second and me first. He felt that Colin's wasn’t right paying the second person the same as the first. Handing back the fiver I explained that I thought the way Colin does it is was a very fair. We must bear in mind that the match is for the “Over 55’s and Disabled”, so there is potentially a skill and capability gap over such a wide range of participants. Colin’s payout keeps the interest for all comers. So this angler gets my vote for Sportsman of 2009. Finally will we see Mike Coulson fishing these matches next year - doubt it!!

My photo of the year was one from the Carps AC match at Tockenham Reservoir – (see right). Colin said afterwards that he "needn't have a bath now for another month" - he is always true to his word. It was nice to see the Harris tweed jacket had nearly dried out by the next day's match!! What on earth was Tom Thick doing?
I keep contemporary records of all my matches so I have put together the following statistics of my match fishing results for 2009:

Total Number of Matches Fished
99
Total Number of Anglers fished the Matches
2,701
Average Number of Anglers per Match
27
Number of Different Fisheries Fished
19
Total Carp Weight
2,470lb 15oz
Total Silvers Weight
1,161lb 3oz
Overall Weight
3,632lb 2oz
Highest Overall Weight
210lb 14oz
Highest Silvers Weight
44lb 7oz
Heaviest Carp
18lb 14oz
Average Weight per Match
36lb 11oz
Number of Times in top 6 Overall
43
Number of Times in top 3 Silvers
45
Number of Times won Both
6
Number of Pick-ups
59
Strike Rate
60%
DNW
2
Blanks
1

3 comments:

Zac said...

very interesting, how do you record your stats? have you made a spreadsheet or database or is it all by hand?

Silverfox Match Angling said...

zn
I record every thing (including income/expenditure) on an Microsoft Excel Spread sheet if you want a copy please contact me on: silverfox1@fsmail.net.

Silverfox Match Angling said...

E-mail from Martyn Woodington:

Was down Bristol yesterday River looked fine @ Conham up a few feet ...nice pace with no debrit.....fancied a chuck with a feeder......

Went to Asda and they do those plastic flexible elephant buckets in nice colours...Pink..Purple etc etc

I got the 12 litre purple of course...wanted pink but my son would not let me....its the right size for the round maggot riddle to fit on top that comes with those large bait buckets....but these flex buckets can be put in bait bags and compressed....a good find I thought.....just passing on a little info...and at £2 each a good purchase.

keep the blogs up in 2010...

Mike I did 17 matches for 1546lbs thats an average of 90lbs a match...with 7 pick ups and a top weight of 258lbs

I tend to fish less due family commitments but hope to get out more next year with the new shift pattern and hopefully do the winter league as well.

Martyn