Thursday 7 January 2010

Found It!

Due to the freezing weather I have now missed three matches and with no immediate promise of a thaw I am expecting to miss at least another two. I am fed up with sitting around at home and need a fishing fix soon. So I decided to venture out today and walk to my local lake to see if it was fishable!!! On the way I bumped in to Paul Barnes who has recently retired. Paul worked with me as a Subcontractor on and off for over thirty years. Paul never seems to age and can still talk for England.

On arrival at the Lake I noticed that only one car had been in the car park since the snow fall. Who ever they were they hadn't fished and left a right mess with their MacDonald's rubbish. I soon noticed that there was a small part of the lake clear of ice. It was just left of peg 3. On inspection it was due to water running in to the lake off the hills behind. It was clear out to about five metres, just enough for me to fish (see picture top left). I wish I had my tackle as it was a beautiful sunny day. However, it wasn't long before I was being pestered by the local bird life - looking for some casters I suspect (see picture right).


Away from the clear patch of water the ice was approximately 3 inches thick - unbreakable with the usual ice breaking tools I think (see picture right).

So if I can't get a match soon and the weather stays the same I might do a spot of pleasure fishing, that is if the swim isn't taken now that I have let the Cat out of the bag! I suspect Martyn McMahon will get there before me.

3 comments:

Silverfox Match Angling said...

E=mail from Martyn Woodington:

Followed your weather link and I can confirm its not accurate...

Its snowing here and was all day but the site said it was partly cloudy

Last week i followed the site and missed a days fishing.......

I can confirm that I consider all weather forecasters and programmes are a waste of time.

Martyn

Sorry matey - perhaps it's only right for our neck of the woods.

Zac said...

try a river?

tony rixon,s days out said...

yay got a match for sunday . the feeder canal, i know it sounds a bit desperate but i got 10 booked in up to now and i am expecting more and with one of the local cafe is opening up for us. it will probadly be shit but at least its a fix and someone will catch something to win