Wednesday 9 December 2009

Wednesday - 09/12/2009 - Landsend Christmas Match

The weather was spot on today - no wind, no rain (at last) and temperatures in the teens. I wanted to draw a peg on Specimen Lake but not any between 31 and 26. In to the draw bag with my left hand and I pick up two pegs one was stuck in the staple. This is bad news, as I always worry that I will return the wrong peg: and I probably did as on opening up the one I kept revealed peg 31. Peg 31 is normally a real Carp slayers peg. All the advise (and there was plenty) was to forget the Silvers and fish for carp at 16 metres up and down the shelf using double red maggot over pellet. However, I was in good company drawing next to the Gimp who was on peg 32 for the second time in consecutive matches. Oh yes beat him again!!

I got to my peg and decided on three rigs – a Ronnie rig/Perch rig, a soft pellet 4x14 rig for 1-0-clock at 13 metres and yes – the full sixteen metres for the far bank shelf with a 0.3 gram Gerry of Nottingham corn/pellet float. I decided to feed a couple of balls of GB at 4 metres out in front and loose feed caster at the same distance at 9-0-clock to my left. I also fed some micro at 13 and 16 metres. I started on the 13 metre line with 3mm soft pellet and was pestered by 1oz Ronnie’s. I came in on the 4 metre line over the GB and had one 10 oz Skimmer on pellet. I tried all the various baits over this line, but the GB just didn’t do the biz. On to the caster and I had a run of Ronnie’s to 8oz. However, I now realised that I wasn’t going to pick up money in the super pool with Silvers as Glyn Wickham on peg 33 was catching decent Perch and chub. Having tried the 13 metre line again and once more I was prevented from get to the better fish by the Ronnie’s I decide to fish the rest of the match for Carp in an attempt to get up the placing for a better prize. I tried all the baits on the table, all of which were prey for the Ronnie’s!! I decided to open a tin of corn (another 22p down the drain) and get some 4mm hard pellet out the bait bag. I catapulted half dozen of 4mm’s in and fished corn over them. I was still being pestered by Ronnie’s and had to hook the corn deep to keep it on the hook. I kept feeding a few 4mm’s. I then hooked a decent Carp which tore off close to the net and broke me (was it foul hooked I wondered). The up shot was that I hooked six Carp and got two out. I reckon the nearest any of them was to being in the mouth was 2 cm. I weighed 7lb 8oz of Silvers and 16lb 10oz of Carp for a total weight of 24lb 2oz. This was only good enough for ninth overall. I did come away with a bottle of Brandy and a ton of Quality Street!! I must say that I was very impressed with the Colmic pole. At 16 metres it is a very well balanced and stiff.

The match was won by Vic Bush (pictured right under the arm of the Silvers winner Tony Rixon) with 87lb 4oz from in form peg 11 on Match Lake. Vic caught at 11.5 metres using single caster over potted caster with a bit of micro.

The Silvers was won by Tony Rixon with 22lb 9oz from peg 3 on Match Lake. Tony caught on …………see his blog.
I must say I didn’t go prepared for the fine spread that the Duckett’s laid on; hot cottage pie, hot dogs and all the usual buffet fodder. If I had known I would have cancelled my dinner with the special one and got stuck in like the rest. I must say the prizes were very good too. Well done Mike. I am back there again on Sunday for next Christmas match.

Full Result:

  1. Vic Bush 87-04-0 peg 11
  2. Dean Mallin 73-03-0 peg 16
  3. Adrian Clark 64-15-0 peg 36
  4. Tony Rixon 40-10-0 peg 3
  5. Alan Oram 32-02-0 peg 25
  6. Andy Bryant 29-0-0 peg 13
Top Silvers:

  1. Tony Rixon 29-02-0 peg 3
  2. Glyn Wickham 22-09-0 peg 33

4 comments:

tony rixon,s days out said...

i dont do silvers very often(but i am getting to like it) and you get my weight wrong 29.2 lol

Silverfox Match Angling said...

I suppose it's too much to expect the "Silver Badger" to treat the silver angler to the same return in the pools as Carp slayers?

tony rixon,s days out said...

fraid so i am still of the opinion that the overall winner deserves more of the spoils, even if yhe silver man has probably had to work harder and possibly thought more about what he is doing, but at the end of the day the match is being run as an event to bank the highest weight to win the lions share, i still dont see how it is fair for someone who has caught 20 lb win the same as a person who has had 100 lb. what i will try just for you mr n is perhaps run a role reversal match with silvers picking up the lions share and the carp being the by-product, how does the 23 of december sound ?

Silverfox Match Angling said...

My ambitions are to get more anglers fishing for silvers - and I think I am making some progress. Take "Smurf" for example, he is now fishing for anything that swims (as we do - you know it makes sense) and is delighted if he picks up some coin knowing by the first quarter of the match that he can't possible frame in the Carp pool (when this happened before a silvers pool you had numerous anglers packing up and or wandering around the bank - not the case so much these days). I don't think silvers should have the lions share - just an equal share. I predict that one day more anglers will be fishing for Silvers than Carp. It's about bites and catching fish and a full days fishing.