Thursday 19 November 2009

Thursday 19/11/2009 - Bathampton AA Over 55's - Withy Pool


Well guess who arrived behind me on the bank today – Martyn “Woody” Woodington (pictured right with less hair than when I seen him last). It was nice to see him again, we have been exchanging e-mails. over the past year or so, Woody has been doing very well on the commercials around his home in East Sussex. Unfortunately for him there aren’t that many quality fisheries around his neck of the woods. Hope Dad is home from hospital soon matey. Next time you are in Bristol we must arrange a pint with our old team mates.
There was only two elements against the fishing today. One was the high gusting winds and Colin’s pegging. More or less every peg was in the wind, whilst I watched Carp crashing around in the dead calm waters behind the island. At least the wind kept the rain off!

That said I was happy with my draw - peg 49, especially as peg 50 wasn’t in the draw bag (why not I wonder) and it was one of the more sheltered pegs!! I only set up two rigs – one for corn in the LH margin and a Silvers rig at 6 metres (the furthest I dare fish in the conditions). I started at 6 metres and stayed there most of day with the occasional half hearted try in the margin with corn over caster. I caught Ronnie’s and small Skimmer's steady all day with red maggot hook bait over kinder potted red maggot. That is until 2-o-clock when within a 15 minutes period I hooked and landed three Carp to 6lb, with a fourth slipping the hook after a 15 seconds fight. My three Carp weighed 22lb 10oz and my Silvers 16lb 6oz for a total weight of 39lb. This put me first overall and first in the Silvers (my Silvers alone was enough for an overall win) and a pick up of £20.


Runner up was Pete Bryers (pictured right with the bigger of his two Carp) from peg 47 with 15lb 3oz. Pete caught on the straight lead. Pete's picking up regularly these days.

The gusting winds claimed Steve Jefferies pole, smash two sections in pieces. I was told Steve was trying to fish long over to the island. Steve had to resort to the lead after his calamity.

Full Result:

1. Mike Nicholls 39-0-0 peg 49
2. Pete Bryers 15-03-0 peg 47
3. Mike Jones 10-04-0 peg 67
4. Steve Jefferies 8-01-0 peg 72
5. Bill Ferris 3-02-0 peg 74
6. Bryan Sheppard 2-02-0 peg 66

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 16-06-0 peg 49
2. Mike Jones 4-12-0 peg 67

Finally: Dave Crookes (club Secretary) was out and about on the bank today on the pretext of supervising the contractors adding "white stuff" in to Bridge Pool. But we all knew he was out spying for the forth coming Friday's Bathampton Silvers Championship.

1 comment:

Tim Ford said...

Woody was never that well covered on his bonce, but I agree there is even less now!