Sunday 15 November 2009

Sunday 15/11/2009 - Carps AC - Viaduct Fishery - Carey


Today was Colin Golding’s Birthday match (pictured right with John Bennet cutting his Birthday cake). Colin has reached the grand old age of 73, but can still moan like an 18 year old. Happy Birthday matey and we all wish you plenty more.
Well after two days of gale force winds and rain we were promised a dry warm day, guess what they got it right for once. However, the damage was done, with the fields around the fishery under water (pictured below right) and the lake levels well up. No one expected it to fish well, and we were dead right!!

I drew peg 81 which is one above the spit. I had plenty of water to go at and was expecting to catch a few decent Perch up the edge of the Monk. So I set up a caster rig for down the LH edge at 11.5 metres and a 4x14 caster/maggot rig for out in front at 10 metres. I started by potting in some caster and maggot out in front and just neat caster up to the Monk. I started out in front and caught some very small Ronnie’s and “bottle top” Skimmers. As I was eager to catch some big Perch on caster I decided to go after them earlier than I would normally. I had some indication straight away with the single caster hook bait which resulted another 1 oz Ronnie. Back out on double caster and I pulled out of a decent Perch (about a pound). I then landed one about 8oz. Out again and into a bigger Perch which got caught up in some tree braches which had come down during the recent storm, it finally pulled free. The swim dried up and even though I persevered with various baits - double maggot and chopped worm. I spent most of the match catching what I could out at 10 metres which was in the main 1oz Ronnie’s. After feeding a tiny bit of chopped worm on this line I did foul hook a big Eel which again pulled free. However, that wasn’t the end of my torment – with half hour to go I hooked a Tench which broke me under my pallet (I did have a bit of curly line left, so the Tench might have undone my hook)!! I must mention my two Daddy Ruffe as I haven’t caught one for a couple of years. Both of them puffed up there prehistoric gills looking for a fight – amazing creatures. I weighed 7lb 14oz of Silvers only to find I was only 1lb 2oz out from winning the section which Tom Thick won with 9lb – a bit of bad luck I think. Steve Long said to me after the match that they have been leaving out peg 81 in the Silvers matches as it isn’t producing at the moment!!


The match was won by Dick Bull (pictured right – Dick I suggest you get some practice at smiling in the mirror) with five carp for 58lb 13oz from peg 80 (the other side of the spit to me). Dick caught his fish on the straight lead using luncheon meat hook bait.

The Silvers was won by Tim Pallant with 20lb 7oz from peg 88. Tim caught a mix of Silvers on various baits - maggots/pinkies and chopped worm fished over chopped worm. Tim fed about ½ kilo of worm
.
Full Result:

1. Dick Bull 58-13-0 peg 80
2. Ray Hayward 51-06-0 peg 87
3. Alan Oram 41-02-0 peg 76
4. Barry Fitchew 24-06-0 peg 97
5. Charlie Barns 21-01-0 peg 100
6. Tim Pallant 20-07-0 peg 88

Top Silvers:

1. Tim Pallant 20-07-0 peg 88
2. Mash 17-13-0 peg 85


Finally: Steve and Paul have been busy refurbishing Spring Lake. They have drained the lake down and moved all the fish in to Middle which has been dammed off. Next they plan to de-silt the lake; however, their plans have been some what scuppered due to the heavy rain fall which has increased the water table such that the lake has started to refill (pictured right). Not to worry matey’s more rain on the way tomorrow!!

No comments: