Monday 16 November 2009

E-L-A-S-T-I-C-A-T-I-O-N

A pole is a very long slender cantilever and as such the heavier the furthest end is the more the pole will bend and subsequently become less balanced (wobbly) – simple mechanics. For this reason I try to keep the top sets and elastication to the minimum weight. To achieve this I only use match top sets with the number one section removed which means the top set comprises of a number 2 and 3 only, which is much lighter than power top sets (can be up to half the weight). I have used match top sets for many years and have never broken a section whilst playing and landing fish. Remember a pole is a means of storing the fish fighting medium – elastic and for presenting the float/rig accurately at distance. It is definitely not is a fishing rod!! It is unwise to put a pole and pole joints under compression or tension; however, being carbon fibre it does have good fatigue properties.
For 90% of my fishing I limit myself to just two elastics (I can hear Tony Rixon saying tight so and so). I have got to know both these elastics very well and fully understand their application. Because I fish for both Silvers and Carp I need to compromise on elastics to some extent. However, I can land either group of fish on either elastic. The elastics I use are both hollow. I have tried pretty well all types of elastics and combinations including the most recent fad of doubling up lighter solid latex. As I do not use lubrication I find hollow elastics return back in to the pole much better that the double up’s, (dual core is doubled up elastic - isn't it?) etc… I have also tried filling the hollow core elastics with silicon (similar to hydro elastics) but find it makes little to no difference, other than adding additional weight to the top set. To check if the elastics needs cutting back or changing some anglers run the elastic over their lips and if it feels rough they change it. I wait until I see some physical damage before I cut back, there is plenty of margin in the breaking strain.
The Elastics I use are:




1. Middy HI-VIZ Bungee 18 to 22 - blue in colour: I use this elastic when targeting Carp, I am confident of landing any size of fish on it. I buy one reel of the elastic and cut it in half lengths, this does two top sets. At half length it will be approximately half the length of my top set. I then attach a length of fly line backing (Dacron) to one end of the elastic using a loop to loop. I then attach the Dacron to a Drennan pole bung winder, cut to the appropriate length to suit the top set, and so not to foul up with the number 4 section. I then thread the elastic in to the top set and as I don’t use Stonfo’s I attach another piece of fly line backing (as per picture above left) using one over hand knot on the elastic and a pull over loop on the backing. When I am going to use a Kinder pot close to the end of my top set I make the finished Dacron connector about 6.5 cm long. This helps prevent the line folding over the pot when shipping out. I always check that this hasn't happened as to hook a fish with it caught up can be very interesting!! I tidy the whole end up using a Korda Helicopter bead (see top picture right), I use this method of rig attachment on all my top sets. I then adjust the elastic on the winder such that it just creeps back in to the pole. I find that on the first use I need to adjust the tension a bit more using the Drennan winder, so I always carry a bung extractor . I usually keep the same length of elastic in a top set for about 2 to 3 years, this is because it is very simple and quick to remove worn areas near the connector and let off the Dacron at the other!!

2. Maver Dual Core 12 to 20 – pinkish colour: This I use when initially targeting Silvers on Commercial venues, however I have landed big doubles on it albeit it tales a fair bit of patients. I use a complete length attached to a Preston pull-a-bung. I find with a pull-a-bung that it is very easy to pull the elastic to its elastic limit – “bottoming out”. This will lead to losing fish by either breakages or hook bending. I now mark my elastics so I know how far to pull knowing I have some in reserve. I also use my grip on the elastic as a clutch – similar to a reel. I am currently working on a small winder to enable quick changing of the elastics length and to give the elastic a bit more life through being able to cut worn areas back and unwind – similar to the Drennan bung winder described above.

The pictures above centre show the elastics ect… described above.
In addition to the above I carry one top set with a Vespe 1.8 mm diameter - about no 6 to 8 hollow elastic – bright pink, it’s the smallest diameter you can buy. I complete the set up using pull-a-bung. I carry this for the odd occasion when I am losing too many Silvers fish. However, I have landed Carp to 8lb on this elastic. I also have one special “No Limit” power top set with a half length of Maver Dual Core 16 to 20+ dark red elastic (it’s similar to the Hydro of the same colour but a lot cheaper). There is nothing that swims that can’t be handled by this set up providing you have the nerve to fish with 0.22mm diameter lines!! I have landed 20lb plus Carp just on the top set with this elastic!! I do also have a special whip fitted with the blue Middy – more of this later.

3 comments:

Fishingken said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fishingken said...

Mike, i'm surprised at how heavy your elastic is. It obviously works for you.

Personally a big fan of doubled elastic, particularily doubled 6 or 8. I find the 6 excellent for commercial silverfish, but I can also land carp on it.

For out and out carping use a 12 latex in the winter and 14 in the summer, with red hydro for the margins.

I find interesting to see what tackle other anglers use. Too many try to copy others, rather than try and find a combination that suits them

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Ken

We all fish differently. The elastic I use suit my way of fishing. I have tried practically every elastic as soon as it arrives on the market. The four elastics I have chosen have very high elastic limits (stretch a long way) this enables me to fish them quite slack, yet they return well back in to the pole and of course it allows me to fish heavier elastics for the Silvers.

A doubled up latex number 6 works out to be near equal to a latex single 12! However, because it is impossible to get both elastics to share equal loads there is some slight lowering of its overall rating. This rule applies also to the elasticity. Doubles also aren't round and can twist ect...requiring more initial tensioning to get them to return back in to the pole or loads of lubrication (which I avoid). I much prefer the dual core, one elastic inside another. But as you say it's a personal thing, a bit like women, the difference being you can try all the elastics out before you commit yourself!!