Tuesday 20 October 2009

Tuesday 08/10/2009 to 20/10/2009 - Up to my neck in it

It all started back on the 15 September when my Granddaughter twin came back from holiday with Salmonella which is a type of bacteria and is usually found in poultry, eggs, unprocessed milk and in meat and water. It may also be carried by pets like turtles and birds. The diagnosis was confirmed by sampling her poo. However, the particular bacterium was “unclassified” which meant the doctors couldn’t confirm the origin. One Doctor suggested it might have come from Rabbit or Duck droppings from the holiday site. After seven days she improved, but then struck down with a complication which affected her urine – I spent four hours at the Children’s Hospital A&E (Heart Break Hotel) with her. It was obvious she was in a lot of pain. The Doctor needed a sample of her wee so I was following her around for an hour with a plastic tub (I was not alone with this one as many of the parents were doing the same – not easy). Once we got a sample it was quickly analysis and the correct antibiotic given. Two days later she was fine, then the other twin contracted the same Salmonella – seven days later and after the same complication antibiotics were given and she was up and running about again. Then their Farther Steve went down with the same Salmonella. He was really bad with it for seven days and still needed antibiotics to help him recover.

As I mentioned in my previous blog I had a phone call to take the first twin back to Heart Break Hotel as she was in terrible distress due to not having poo’d for two weeks! Another four hours in the A&E, medication was prescribed (did you know that a hospital doctors prescriptions can only be dispensed from a hospital pharmacy). Four days later and we are up to our necks in poo – but what a relief!!

I always believed that you could only contract Salmonella directly from the original source, but apparently not as I was next to get it. I have been to the toilet well over a hundred times and flushed at least 200 gallons of water in the seven days. I also lost 8lbs in weight. Still I didn’t have it as sever as my son Steve. I think this was because I had some immunity from a similar illness when working in Port SaidEgypt (contracted from drinking water (or non drinking water). It started during the drive from Port Said to Cairo at night. I just managed to make it back to the Sheraton Hotel where I spent one on the most miserable nights ever, drinking seven litres of water in six hours). Seven days later I had complications; the Salmonella had affected the protein in my body (the body being a complex chemistry set) and subsequently produced vast quantities of Uric acid. For all those who have suffered chronic gout will immediately recognise this acid and will loathe it. For three days I have been crawling around on my hands and knees as I could not even bear to stand on my feet! I have not slept for three nights. Apparently the pain is comparable with that of child birth – why do Women have kids I am wondering. In any case I feel as if I am now in a special club. The tablets I have been prescribed are very difficult to use as they cause sever indigestion if not taken correctly (I know, it happened to me).

As I write this I am on the mend and hoping to get out fishing this week – subject to permission from “The Special One”.


I do like to add a photo with each of my blogs and thought of using a picture of my burning red feet – but who wants to see them plus I like to keep to the subject matter, however, I found something just as scary!! Has anyone seen him recently?

Finally; I do like to use fellow anglers for jobs that are too big for me. I needed a new garage side door and used Paul Haines (pictured bottom right fishing Newbridge 2005) as he did a really great job on my Porch. One again he did not disappoint with a great price and excellent quality door and workmanship. Paul can be contacted on 07711363859.

5 comments:

Silverfox Match Angling said...

The following is an e-mail received today from Kevin (Doc) Collins:

Hi Mike, as you have not had any blog entries for last week or so i presume you are still under the weather, if that is the case get well soon mate. This will cheer you up, i have created a web page at uni detailing my research, under fun stuff i have put a link to your blog so you may well be getting the academic elite reading you from now on Mike, there are a couple of other links which you will also like.
I am booked into Cider farm this Sunday for the last time this year, how should i approach it this time of year?In terms of feeding, should i now be feeding through a toss-pot as you showed me last year by feeding a few micros and a few maggots and then build the swim up by feeding a little micro and a couple of maggots after each fish?
Cheers
Kevin

http://psychology.psy.bris.ac.uk/people/kevincollins.htm

JohnL said...

I hope you and all your family are on the road to recovery Mike. Stomach associated problems are not nice so take care.
And I wish you well enough to get back on the bank soon - especially as I don't have much to read at the present!!!!
JohnL

Fishingken said...

Glad to hear you are better. Sounds really nasty.

Tim Ford said...

It's a close run thing between what's worse the salmonella or the picture of Spriggsy!

Seriously, hope you and the rest of the family are back to good health ASAP.

tony rixon,s days out said...

hurry up and get back to the shop cos i have missed my oldest favourite whipping boy. seriously good to hear you and the kids and grandkids are ok, as brenda aint had it does that mean she is immune to the effects of her cooking lol