Sunday 4 October 2009

04/10/2009 - Avon Angling Open - Bullocks Farm

I worked for BAe Systems and was glad to do so – why shouldn’t they grease a few palms to get the work back to the UK. In the Middle East his is an expected and normal part of business – we have obviously out palmed the Yanks and pissed them off – bloody good job if you ask me! Gordon Brown stop this ridiculous threat of prosecution!

I drew peg 8 on Match Lake. Luckily Tony Rixon had bought a pair of loppers. He apparently paid £12.50 for them – you wouldn’t have guessed! He leant me them to clear some of the over hanging tree branches. I had found a brown plastic cup on my pallet (along with a load of other rubbish). I could see Phil walking round collecting peg fees from the pleasure anglers. So as an experiment I put the cup upside down in the middle of the path – you guessed it - Phil walked straight passed it!! I was left to put the rubbish in the bin - once again!

I set up four rigs: 1- paste rig for the RH margin (4 metres): 1 - 4x12 Jolly for 4mm pellet (11 metres @ 10 clock): 1 - 4x10 PB14 for 2mm pellet and maggot (as per Jolly) and 1 – 4x10 Drennen Chop (wire stem ones) for maggot in the margin and over to a weed bank (again 11 metres). I started on the 4mm pellet kinder potting 8 pieces of micro pellet. I caught a few small Crucians and Fantails and a small Mirror Carp. However, as I slowly built the swim the fish started moving up in the water, which resulted in four foul hooked Carp. There was a small blow over by the weed bank so rested the pellet line and tried the maggot over. This resulted in another lost foul hooked Carp. I was then getting bites from small Ronnie’s. I decided to give the 2mm pellet a try over the micro. This resulted in three hooked Carp – all on the drop. I then had another run of foul hookers. The fish were coming up in the water – quite near the surface taking the micro, but would not follow them down. After three hours the swim died. So margin and paste time. Unfortunately I couldn’t fish too far up the margin to the corner because of the leaves gathering there. For the last three hours I had a frustrating time catching the odd small Carp and loosing an equal amount of foul hookers on paste (not as many as Gary Wall who lost 17 Carp on peg 21). I finished the match with 6lb of Silvers (Crucians) and the eight Carp went 22lb 1oz for a total of 28lb 1oz for sixth overall and a pick up of £25, which paid for the day.


Bela Bakos (pictured right with half his catch) had his turn on peg 17 and won the match with 66lb 13oz. Bela caught all his fish at 16 metres out to the weed bed fishing paste. He fed one pint of dead maggot and quarter of a pint of micro.
The Silvers was won by Lewis Jones with 16lb 13oz from peg 24
.
I have to give “Lottery Ticket” Rixon a mention as he was second overall with 52lb and second in the Silvers with 16lb 8oz. He caught on sweet corn over ground bait – remarkably from peg 2. I am now convinced there is an advantage being left handed – he is able to fish corners that right handed anglers can’t fish!!

Full Result:

1. Bela Bakos 66-13-0 peg 17
2. Tony Rixon 52-0-0 peg 2
3. Lewis Jones 39-11-0 peg 24
4. Tom Thick 32-02-0 peg 26
5. Gary Wall 28-10-0 peg 21
6. Mike Nicholls 28-01-0 peg 8

Top Silvers:

1. Lewis Jones 16-13-0 peg 24
2. Tony Rixon 16-08-0 peg 2
3. John Bradford 12-06-0 peg 22 (again)

And finally - what on earth was Deano doing between pegs 25 and 26 which now has a 1 metre wide canal between the two swims. Perhaps he's after the gardeners job, which is still vacant.

1 comment:

tony rixon,s days out said...

fairplay mike i new there was a reason as to why i was left handed