Tuesday 15 September 2009

Thursday 17/09/2009 - Bathampton AA Over 55's - Withy Pool


Great, another new blogger. The following is an e-mail from Chris Fox:

"You’ve inspired me to get my blog up to date, thought you might like to read it"

You will find a shortcut to Chris's blog on the right hand side under the heading "My Favourite Websites". It's a great read - there's a lot more drinking goes on down, that there, Clevedon than I thought!

I wanted to fish the Carps AC match at Plantation yesterday but was put on Granddaughter sitting standby until 10 am.

Colin arrived at the draw today in his new Vauhall Vectra Estate - Burgundy one this time. It must be nice to be in the position to buy a new car if your old one breaks down - so remember - the car is Burgundy.

I drew peg 48 which is on the point of the far bank. Bob Warren won off the peg a few weeks ago, so I was expecting to catch a few. Withy lake was flat calm with bright sunshine. Some leaves had fallen in to the lake and the small amount of wind was chasing them around my peg for most of the day. The lake's level was well down and I was concerned about retaining fish in the keepnet on the pegs where the inside line was shallow and stony I therefore suggest that anglers sit in front of the pallet (against Bathampton rules - but the welfare of the fish are my first concern). I didn't expect the Carp to feed today so set up two caster rigs for the Ronnie's, one paste rig and a soft pellet rig for Skimmers and anything else that swims. I also decided to try some ground bait laced with maggot at 6 metres. On the whistle I cupped in two jaffa's at 6 metres and 250ml of 4mm and micro on my Skimmer line at 8 metres (this is just down the shelf on to the clay bottom i.e. not on the stony shelf - so should see any fishing blowing). I started on caster and new instantly that the Ronnie's didn't want to know. I went out on the GB line with double maggot and in ten minutes caught three Ronnie's for 3oz! I now knew I was in trouble, in fact no one was catching much. I decided to stick to my pellet and paste line and two hours later I had a run of six small Skimmers. I decided to feed two big pot fulls of pellet and then stretch my legs. The fishing was pretty slow everywhere with a few blanking. On my return, first put in on 6mm expander I lost a foul hooker, next put in I landed a 3lb 8oz Carp, next put in I foul hooked a 4lb Bream in the dorsal fin, which I lost at the net. Next put in I landed a 3lb Bream - looking good. Next put in I foul hooked and lost another Carp. Well that was it - no more bites for the last hour. I even tried potting in and stretching my legs again - that didn't work either. I weighed 8lb 3oz of Silvers and my 3lb 8oz Carp for a total of 12lb 11oz this put me fourth in the Silvers and bugger all else.

The match was won by Bob "The Bread" Price with 52lb 6oz from peg 43. Bob caught his fish on paste - mostly from the margins.

Runner up was Mel Ansty (pictured right) with 40lb from peg 69. Mel caught on soft pellet at 13 metres. Mel travels the furthest for these matches - Manchester to be precise!

The Silvers was won by Chris Snow from peg 48 with 16lb 12oz. His catch included two big Tench and one big Bream. Chris mimics the Colin Golding plop - plop method, which is loose feeding 6mm expander with 6mm expander on the hook at 7 metres.

Full Result:

1. Bob Price 52-06-0 peg 43
2. Mel Ansty 40-0-0 peg 69
3. Terry Bruton 34-12-0 peg 60
4. Mervyn Howe 32-04-0 peg 67
5. Kev "Doc" Collins 27-12-0 peg 45
6. Chris Snow 27-03-0 peg 47

Top Silvers:

1. Chris Snow 16-12-0 peg 47
2. Pete Bryers 12-02-0 peg 57

No comments: