Tuesday 18 August 2009

Wednesday 19/08/2009 - Carps AC - Cider Farm - Yarlington Mill


After a long weekend away to visit son Mark in Brighton I was up for another angling fix. Our visits to Brighton have usually been limited to a one day flying visit – either picking up, taking down or moving house. However, this time we booked into a hotel and had a really good time – walking, drinking, eating (all at Marks legacy expense) and people watching – amazing place for this hobby of mine (see picture top right of the Brides Car – taking note Darren). The Seven Sisters Country Park (picture lower right with Mark and Partner Inger) is particularly beautiful and well worth the visit. You need to be fit for these walks – Brenda is currently sat with an ice pack on her knee!!


Firstly I must introduce the engine room at Cider Farm. The breakfast and tea maker – Brenda Gibson and Husband Ian the Cider maker (both pictured lower right – ready for their next customer – me – one pint of dry cider please).

I drew peg 14 – great - always wanted this peg. On arrival at the peg I wasn’t sure which to go for – Silvers or Carp. I decided to try to win both in this peg. I set a target of 10lb (based on that being second to my weight on the last match) for the Silvers, then on to the Carp. After the first hour I had about 10lb all caught on the humble red maggot. So on the second hour I went in to the margins where I had previously fed 250ml of micro and I was straight in to Carp on the paste. There is a seventy pound net limit so I reckoned on 35 fish - two to the pound would be about right – however, the fish can be a bit bigger fishing paste so decided on thirty Carp per net. I kept the carp coming on the paste by lightly feeding 4mm pellet over the top. I ended with two nets with thirty Carp in each (with a bit of was that number twenty or twenty one). I weighed 10lb 15oz of Silvers and 116lb 14oz of Carp for a total of 127lb 13oz. This put me first overall and also first in the Silvers and a pick up of £30. Peg 14 is a great peg with many options.


Andy Gard ran me close on the Silvers with 10lb 3oz from peg 19
.
Full Result:

1. Mike Nicholls 127-13-0 peg 14
2. John Thompson 99-14-0 peg 25 (nearly a ton John)
3. Steve Jefferies 81-05-0 peg 56
4. Bob ”The Bread” Price 63-06-0 peg 36
5. Rich Coles 57-15-0 peg 54
6. Colin Golding 46-14-0 peg 4
1
Top Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 10-15-0 peg 14
2. Andy Gard 10-03-0 peg 19

1 comment:

Silverfox Match Angling said...

The following is an e-mail from Martyn "Woody" Woodington - some will remember him from the Winter league matches:

Mike...should have told me you were down this way the weekend as I could have scrounger a beer of you....I live 15m from Brighton and spend loads of time on the coast at weekends.......

Went out today for that elusive 200lbs...If the Silverfox can do it so can I.....

I read the Bathampton website last night,,,,

Off to Brookhouse Lake @ Framfiled where there are loads of fish but pegs vary.....I was more than confident to catch a few and knew fishing in the grass was important for those larger weight buliding fish,,,,,,,

I drew peg 42.....If I say I was disapointed that would be an understatement....the locals told me not to rush to the peg....on these lakes the nets are provided and you tell the owner what peg your on and he gives you 1-2 or 3 nets....well 42 for me and he suggested 3 nets...I declined and took 2....when i arrived at the the it was a good move as the peg had no inside line....more trees than in a forest,,I plumbed up close and had roots plus 3 ft of water...not looking good....I decided to fish 3m short line and paste plus both inside but away from the shore.........roots and slopes....

Well the first hour was slow with loads of foul hookers at 3m on paste/meat/corn/pellet...over 4mm pelllet...but 10 in the net all small
Chris came round and asked if I wanted another net...80lb limit on 2 nets...unlimited on 3/4 nets...I declined...

Second hour inside and a few better fish but every other bit ended up in a root...lost rig or damaged rig....8 fish

Next hour and a half back on the 3m and a fish a bung.....where before the bits/movement resulted in foul hooker now they were in the mouth....with an hour and a half to go I choose to find the spare nets and there were none out...I called Chris for another net and carried on fishing...this upset the rhythm and in the last hour ended up with 55lbs in the 3rd net....broke/ruined 5 rigs and lost all momentum...plus throw back a few roach as not to kill them at the weigh-in....foul hooked loads of fish....not taking that 3 net cost me in fish and momentum...next time I will take the 3rd net.....

At the weigh in I ended up with 174lbs 12oz .....how much did that cost me not taking that 3 net...I expect the 200lb mark for the first time...

I was second on my bank and 5th overall...they pay 4 and the 4th place was 174 13oz....the roach were costly and not taking a 3rd net cost.......Well we learn from our mistakes....

1st 264lbs
2nd 257lbs
3rd 247lbs
4th 174
5th 174
6th 169

lowest weight was 81 the 84 and everybody else had 100lbs +...18 fished...

The blokes either side of me had 81lbs and 102lbs...so I was happy with the result but that net cost me the first 200lbs I would say...lost rhythm/time looking for another net...plus the roach cost me £45....over £10/ounce...sholud I have put the roach in the net to be killed in the weigh in.....

Well hopefully 200lbs in 2 weeks time................

Keep the blogs going....I enjoy the reading.....excellent grammer upto Rixons days out...........

Martyn