Wednesday 12 August 2009

Wednesday 12/08/2009 - Carps AC - Cider Farm Yarlington Mill

We all had the usual warm welcome at Cider Farm from Mark Gibson and his Mum and Dad. Mark was telling me that he had noticed a lot of small Roach in Yarlington Mill and was thinking of trying a Silvers pool on one of his open matches to see what sort of weights could be had – interesting I thought!! It's generally accepted that there aren't many Silvers in this Snake Lake.

John Bennett confirmed that there would be a Silvers pool payout today, so having threw away my caster before I left home I bought half a pint of mixed maggots from the Farm Shop (the problem with buying maggots from a Licensee is that you only get exactly - half a pint!!). I drew peg 19. I was pleased with this as it has produced a number of back up weights and section wins, but doesn’t seem to be quite good enough for a win. On plumbing up I had nine foot at top set distance, which only varied by six inches over to within one metre of the far bank (mixing my units of measurement again). However, there was a gap in the far bank sedges (it’s a pity there aren’t more thatch roofers that go fishing – John Page why not start thatching instead of tarring), so I set up a paste rig for over at 10 metres with the float set at three foot deep for pulling up the 4 in 1 hill. I also set up three Ronnie whips (my intentions made clear). I decided that the peg would not produce enough Carp to be in the top two; however, I was confident that I could take the first in the Silvers.


On the whistle – head down - on to the 3 metre whip, maggot, and half ounce Ronnie after half ounce Ronnie (actually most of them appeared to be Roach/Bream hybrids). As the match progressed they were getting bigger and bigger, I even had a 2lb Skimmer – blimey, I didn’t expect that. Luckily Mark arrived to see how things were going and I was able to buy another half pint of maggots from him as I was running low. I did have the odd interruption from Carp, five to be precise. Well after six hours and approximately five hundred Silvers later the scales arrived. My five Carp weighed 10lb and my Silvers went 35lb 8oz (me pictured right). As expected this put me first in the Silvers and a pick up of £35. What a brilliant days fishing.

The match was won by Dave Roper (pictured right) from peg 40 with 152lb 11oz. Dave started on paste then switched to hard pellet up in the water in both Left and Right hand sides of his swim.

Runner up was Chris Davis on peg 14 - only 2lb 7oz behind Dave – however, Chris threw back 5lb of Silvers to use the net for Carp (70lb net rule) – buy another net mate!!

Full Result:

1. Dave Roper 152-11-0 peg 40
2. Chris Davis 150-04-0 peg 14
3. Steve Jefferies 103-11-0 peg 46
4. Colin Golding 95-12-0 peg 54
5. Pete Sivell 94-14-0 peg 4
6. Mike Owens 87-15-0 peg 28

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 34-08-0 peg 19
2. Colin Golding 10-03-0 peg 54

1 comment:

tony rixon,s days out said...

how did you manage to get those rogue skimmers into darrens new landing net .oh no i just remembered you did buy one for yourself didnt you