Wednesday 5 August 2009

Wednesday 05/08/2009 - Carps AC - Tockenham Reservior

Although Tockenham Reservoir is reasonably close to home I have never fished it. This is probably because there are few matches held there, tending to be a Pleasure anglers venue. The venue doesn't have any permanent pegs, so a need to peg. All the pegs were down the left hand bank, with peg 1 starting just out of the leg. John Bennett announced at the draw that there wouldn’t be separate pools payout for the Silvers, justified by “there wouldn't be any Carp caught”!! The reason I and many others fish Carps matches is because of the Silvers pool. If there are going to be changes to the rules it should be made clear when you book in for the match.

As always I had a plan of either long pole or feeder, but which ever I started on I had planned to fish it through (one of my cardinal rules). I drew peg 2 which had high Sedges each side, making the swim very narrow, so although I set up the feeder I was concerned about losing fish in them. I set up one rig at 11.5 metres where I had about eight foot of water which could be used for both 6mm pellet and caster/maggot.


On peg 3 was Colin Golding who was complaining about his peg, he asked me to help him with his box – I must agree with him the decking gang plank and platform was very narrow and slippery. I suggested he take the wheels off his box, however, no, no, no it will be all right!! Back to my swim to sort out the bait and then one hell of a Splash – was it a Hercules crashing in to the Lake or was it Colin. I ran round as fast as I could to find Colin completely submerged – then his head pop up. I caught hold of his Harris Tweed jacket until he found terra firma. Once he got his breath back he was able to walk up the bank side. There were many offers for a change of clothing which Colin accepted - (picture right shows Colin drying off – not for the faint hearted - what on earth is Tom Thick doing!). It's a well known fact that Colin can't swim!!

I started on the pole with 6mm expander and had a few small Skimmers. The swim then slowed. As I had made up a big mix of GB for the feeder I decided to add one pint of casters and ball the lot in – about eight pints. I then switched to caster hook bait and caught Ronnie’s and the odd Skimmer to the end. I did have one scare – Colin hooked a Carp and I was worried that he might get pulled in – so some coaching from me until he landed it. I weighed 21lb 10 oz of mainly Ronnie’s, but got beaten all round by mainly Carp! So much for “No Carp today”.


The match was won by Paul Barnfield (pictured lower right) from peg 8 with 64lb 8oz. Paul caught quality Carp and Bream on the feeder at twenty metres with a small white boily (not sure I have spelt this right) as hook bait.

Full Result (No Silvers):

1. Paul Barnfield 64-08-0 peg 8 ( 5 Carp + Bream)
2. Tom Thick 43-02-0 peg 7 (3 Carp)
3. Charlie Barnes 38-14-0 peg 9 (All Skimmers/Bream)
4. Steve Jefferies 36- 01- 0 peg 10 (2 Carp)
5. Colin Golding 33-08-0 peg 3 (1 Carp)
6. Gordon Cannings 29-08-0 peg 6 (3 Carp)

1 comment:

tony rixon,s days out said...

tom thick is just thinking is that what the future really has in store for me . and i hope the person behind colin is just checking colin aint got a ronnie stuck between his cheeks !!!!!!!!!!!