Monday 24 August 2009

Sunday 23/08/2009 - Cider Farm Open - Yarlington Mill

A good turn out with 29 fishing, plus a waiting list for this popular Brean venue. Some moan about the Sedges growth, but me, I like the environment. However, I couldn’t help noticing that we are now coming into the apple skating season! There was a strong South Westerly blowing, but still reasonably warm, enough so, for Glenn Bailey to be wearing shorts, with whom I was travelling with today.

I didn’t mind where I drew as long as I wasn’t facing in to the wind. I pulled out peg 4 – facing directly South West!! I was well pleased with the draw and was expecting a good weight – perhaps even a ton. I decided that I would target the Right Hand margin with paste in about three foot of water. Within a few minutes I had a couple of small Carp, realising at this point that the fishing was going to be harder than expected. The swim progressively got harder and after nine small Carp I decided it was a day of trying some experiments. After trying the 3 metre whip at all depths with 4mm banded pellet and a paste rig up in the water I went out to 5 metres full depth with paste and experimented with various feeding patterns. It seemed to me that the fish weren’t prepared to feed on the bottom, preferring instead to feed off bottom. The Carp wouldn’t follow the feed to the bottom neither but mooched about up in the water for the next feed. I did try fishing shallow, lifting and dropping, but due to the gusting winds the presentation wasn’t good enough to get a bite (or I wasn't doing it right). I did manage to put six of the Lakes bigger Carp in the net during this time and weighed 38lb 5oz for section win (by default - thanks Rod) and a pick up of £30.


The match was won by Rod Wootton (pictured right) from peg 10 with 79lb 8oz. Rod caught on the deck both over and down the track using 6mm hard pellet hook bait. Rod fed two generous pouches of 4mm pellet for every fish landed.

Glenn Bailey weighed 46lb 5oz from peg 55, who nearly won his five peg section by treble default!!

Full Result:

1. Rod Wootton 79-08-0 peg 10
2. Brett Holly 69-08-0 peg 58
3. Paul Locke 68-04-0 peg 17
4. Adrian Jefferies 67-07-0 peg 25
5. Steve Tanner 59-15-0 peg 51
6. Dave Roper 56-09-0 peg 41

5 comments:

tony rixon,s days out said...

its a good job more pellet anglers dont go there or else all u paste heads would never get a look in keep it up rod lol

tony rixon,s days out said...

if find it really strange that people dont like to leave comments on these blogs. it dont matter whether its constuctive or just a piss take its just a chance to have your say. mike tells me he gets most of his comments via e mail . strange.

Silverfox Match Angling said...

There are probably as many reasons as there are differences between people for not commenting.

Anyway "Rip Off" keep thrashing, splashing and blasting yer pellet, the same old thing on the same old venues. Subtleness and variety comes with age - a little way to go yet.

tony rixon,s days out said...

if what you do equates to subtleness i think i will stop now

timmy said...

Mike look forward to your comments have you not gone fishing this week or just not caught anything????? timmy