Saturday 25 July 2009

Saturday 25/07/2009 - Hillview Open

Every year Keith Hill runs a charity event at his Hillview Fishery. The proceeds of the charity go towards sending terminally ill children to Disney Land. Although the Wife and I support CLIC this charity mean much more to me as does Southmead NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit), my two twin Granddaughters spent three months in this unit and believe me they not only save life they almost create it! This year Keith organised:

Wrestling
Fun Bus
Bar (Head Bar Man Terry King – God help them)
Paddle boat racing
Skin Diving
Various live bands
Disco
Etc…

Hillview is where the South West meets South Wales and the West Midlands, so some language translation needed from time to time! On arrival I had my usual breakfast with matey Terry Homer (we can just about understand eeach other - but not always). I also met up with Terry King. Both these anglers take some beating in the West Midlands, however, both are always very approachable and willing to give advice.


I drew peg 17 on Moorhen Lake (see photograph right - you will also see the match winner packing away his gear). I was very pleased with the draw and further delighted to find I was two pegs away from Terry King on peg 19!! I am noted for fishing long on the Lakes at Hillview – five metres!! I had two good margin swims – one each side. I set up both a soft pellet rig at 5 metres (seven foot deep) and a paste rig. I also set up a margin paste rig for the LH side and a corn rig for the RH side. I was really fancying a ton or more today! I started at 5 metres on the pellet and had a couple of 2 oz Carp (Keith has stocked 14,000 of these blighters in each of his Lakes). I then had a small Skimmer, then a 3lb Carp. The going wasn’t good. This forced me in to the margins far too early. I tried both margins, but again the going was slow, with only a couple of Carp as a result. Back on the 5 metre line, this time on paste and I had a run of two Carp!! Back in to the corn margin and I had a run of one 12 lb Carp. Basically this is how my match went and after the five hours I wasn’t disappointed to hear the all out. I weighed 55lb 11oz for Tenth overall. No Silver pool here, however, Bob Ginster had 45lb of Skimmers form Moorhen Lake on Luncheon meat.


The match was won by Rob Lawrence (pictured above right shown with a part bucket of his catch) with 126lb 10oz from peg 7 on the causeway. Rob fished corn in to both his RH and LH margin over kinder potted 4mm hard pellet. Spoiling what otherwise would have been a close match!

Both Terry K (picture right being weighed in) and Terry H picked up money – another lesson from the boys from the Midlands!! Thank you.

I had one pint with the boys, but once the Wrestlers arrived I was off!

Full Result:

1. Rob Lawrence 126-10-0 peg 7

2. John Hale 87-13-0 peg 1
3. Terry King 85-05-0 peg 19
4. Terry Homer 83-01-0 peg 87
5. Bob Ginster 77-04-0 peg 11
6. Ian Bauker 67-110 peg 9
7. Lee Pestacio 67- 06-0 peg 76

No comments: