Thursday 11 June 2009

Thursday 11/06/2009 - Bathampton AA Over 55's - Main Lake

The temperature had gone up some, bright sun, but with gusting winds. On the main Lake today, I don’t know any match angler that enjoys fishing this lake. It’s a shame we use this lake as there are so many Carp anglers keen to fish it

Ian Sheppard learnt a valuable lesson today – don’t let Tom Coulston park next to you, he might hit your car. However, Tom has offered to pay for the repairs! It’s dangerous enough fishing next to Tom!!!

Colin posed the question whether to leave peg 15 in or not. The consensus was to leave it in. I walked the pegs before the match with the Doc and fancied peg 15. Guess what; I drew it, and happy to do so. I can’t say the same for Bob (MD) Feltham who drew peg 4 and refused to fish. Bob got a refund and went back to MD’ing.

Before the draw Colin Golding found two Carp anglers fishing the lake and requested they pack up, explaining that the lake was closed. They duly did, and went home. Can you imagine my dismay when just after arriving at my peg a Carp angler arrives on the next peg explaining that Colin said he could fish next to me!! Exasperating, I don’t have any objections to pegging around Carp anglers on this lake – but this is stupidity in the extreme! Everyone needs to be accountable for their actions.

Because the Silvers spawn at this end of the lake I was expecting to catch a few Bream. However, there were a lot of large shadows just under the surface – Water Pigs. The peg is about 3 foot deep. I started on the 6mm expander pellet over micro pellet – blimey, I could get through the Rudd and Ronnie’s. Great I thought! Quick change to the caster and a fish a chuck, after 30 minutes with about 70 fish for 2lb I knew this was not the way to fortune. I went out again at 10 metres with pellet (limited due to the gusting winds). More small fish! On to the paste then! This worked and although the Ronnie’s (not to be confused with the Ronaldo’s that got transferred from MUF today for £80 million) played some football with the paste. I did manage eight decent Bream for 24lb 3oz. This put me second overall and a pick up of £25.


The match was won by Brian Sheppard (pictured right) from peg 13 with 30lb 12oz of Silvers, which included one Tench. Brian used 6mm expander pellet over potted pellet at 13 metres. Why didn’t Brian have problems with the 1oz Rudd and Ronnie’s?

Full Result:
1. Brian Sheppard 30-12-0 peg 13
2. Mike Nicholls 24-03-0 peg 15
3. Colin Golding 14-03-0 peg 28 (included one Carp)
4. Rich Coles 14-01-0 peg 34
5. John Bennet 10-01-0 peg 27
6. Ian Sheppard 9-12-0 peg 7

I am off to Whiteacres next week. Subject to getting an internet connection I will be blogging every day.

No comments: